Alex Cacciatore (LHS ’12)

Horizon Editor-in-Chiefs: Where Are They Now?

We checked in to see what former Horizon editors-in-chief over the past 10 years remember most about their time at LHS and also on what they are up to now. Here is what Alex Cacciatore (LHS ’12) had to say:

Q: What’s your favorite Horizon memory?

A: This is hard, so many fun memories. If I had to narrow it down, I’d have to say either hanging out with Mrs. Sanders after meetings and just chatting/catching up on life or the fact that I basically lived in the Horizon office so all of my friends knew to find me there and would come visit me on their off periods to say hi and hang out.

Q: Deadlines. Reaction?

A: Given the fact that Horizon is an extracurricular, it was very difficult to get people to hold true to deadlines. Being the EIC, I was the one who had to chase after people for their articles and their edits, which definitely was not always fun. However, learning the importance of deadlines is something I’ve carried through to my collegiate career and now my professional one. 

Q: What college did you attend? What was your major?
A: I went to Lehigh University’s business school. I double majored in business information systems and management. Although not directly related to writing, a lot of what I learned through managing the Horizon staff was pretty relevant to what I learned in my management classes. I originally started out as a chemistry major and realized that was not for me. When I was deciding what to switch to, I remembered my time as EIC and how much I loved leading and managing the team and decided that business would be a great place to use those skills. 

Q: What are you doing now?

A: I work for Ernst & Young in New York City as an IT risk consultant in financial services. Basically, I assess and mitigate the risk that is introduced to businesses from using different technologies. I work for mostly big banks and insurance companies. Outside of work, honestly, [I am not up] to too much different from my high school self. I still take piano lessons and dance classes, and I still love to cook and hang out with my friends, and I definitely like to pretend that I’m not getting any older.

Q: What do you remember most about LHS?

A: Being from the grade that won class night three years in a row, I would definitely have to say it was my favorite part of high school. I loved how my entire grade would come together during those weeks; no matter who was friends with who, everyone was on the same team working together. I loved the competitive feel that was charged throughout the school and getting all dressed up for sports night and the days leading up to class night. I also loved spirit week, and I had the best getting completely decked out for each day’s theme and taking lots of pictures and showing my school spirit. My best friend coaches the JV kick line team, so I love going to her practices and having nostalgic flashbacks of myself at those same practices. I even still hang out with some of my teachers from high school (shout out to Mrs. Kirby) and the same group of crazy guy friends and best girl friends, so you can definitely say that Lynbrook holds a huge piece of my heart. (I actually had a bunch of high school friends over a few nights ago, and we pulled out the yearbook just to reminisce on our favorite memories.)

Q: If you could go back and talk to your high school self, what would you say?

A: Hmm tough one. Trying not to say a cliché like “don’t sweat the small stuff” or “everything will work out,” but those are definitely the first two things that come to mind. I remember having a moment my freshman year of college where it dawned on me that all of the little things I used to get upset about in high school just didn’t matter anymore, and it was such a liberating feeling. But, to be honest, I definitely wouldn’t change a thing. I’m so happy with where I am in life right now, and how my choices in high school led me to Lehigh, and my choices at Lehigh led me to where I am right now.