Batman: Rise of the ’27 Freshmen

Freshmen+and+class+advisors+pose+in+front+of+their+completed+banner.+
Shannon Bludoy
Freshmen and class advisors pose in front of their completed banner.

Class Night is one of Lynbrook’s most valued and long-standing traditions. In the fall, the Class of 2027 joined LHS, thus allowing them to participate in the fun for the first time. The class decided to create their rendition of Batman (1989) for their first Class Night, and overall, it proved to be a success. 

Freshman Emily Callaghan said, “The act was very well thought out, and I could really see the amount of effort put into it.” Other audience members described the performance as entertaining, fun, and fitting for the theme, which was “the friends we make along the way.” 

The freshman skit featured dancing nurses, prisoners, Joker clones, and more as it followed Batman (played by David Aragona) and friends on their journey to stop the Joker (played by Connor Buxton). The Joker brainstormed a diabolical plan to use his new product “Smile-X” to create clones of himself. He discovered flaws in his product after testing it out and creating Harley Quinn (played by Annie Murray) instead of a Joker clone. She then teams up with Batman and his crew without the Joker knowing and devises a plan to save the clones that the Joker created. In the end, after a battle, Batman taught the Joker the true meaning of friendship and recruited him and Harley Quinn to the crime-fighting team. The happy ending fit the theme and showed the audience how friendship can conquer all. 

Although Class Night is thrilling, engaging, and full of creativity, lots of stress comes along with it. All the processes were challenging to systemize and arrange. To assemble the performance, there were many pieces that needed to be completed in a short amount of time. Head freshman chairperson Maya Roditi remarked, “This was a stressful process because it seemed as though there were a million things that needed to be done.” Examples of this included choreographing dances, writing and practicing the script, and finally putting everything together. However, the head chairpeople managed the stress and stayed organized. Roditi added, “I prepared by following the due dates and taking things step by step. I started with the skit and choreographed the dances with my partner, Skylar. I really enjoyed it and loved seeing our vision come to life!”

Freshmen class advisors and members of the girls’ dance. (Shannon Bludoy )

Aside from choreographing and planning the script, the art chairpeople held many responsibilities to enhance the overall performance. Art chairperson Olivia Ramirez said, “We had very limited time because our grade began much later than the others. I slept for a minimal number of hours each night, so I was relieved when the process was over.” Art chairperson Valentina Esposito agreed: “It was extremely stressful when trying to balance my time with extracurriculars, but it was worth it in the end.” The freshman class received positive feedback and support and was extremely proud of what they produced.

The banner tied both Batman and the Joker together by displaying the Batman logo in the center while the outside was purple. Ramirez said, “I think the banner could have turned out better, but due to the lack of time and lack of people involved, it turned out pretty well.” When envisioning the banner, Ramirez said, “My partner and I wanted to portray both Batman and the Joker since they were enemies who became friends in the script.” Esposito noted, “To simplify the process, we started off with bigger areas on the banner and added smaller details towards the end of Deco Day.” 

This was the beginning of many Class Nights for the Class of 2027. Having this experience will only benefit them for the future. With all the stress and responsibility that comes with participating in Class Night, it is all worth it when the vision comes to life in the end.