“Water for Elephants” Review: A Spectacular Blend Between Circus and Musical Theater

Stacey Krivitsky

Water for Elephants made its dazzling debut at Broadway’s Imperial Theatre on March 21, following a successful premiere in Atlanta. With a budget of around $25 million, Water for Elephants is the most expensive production of the 2024 Broadway season. The production is directed by Jessica Stone, features a score by Pigpen Theatre Co., artistic elements by Shana Carrol, and choreography by Jessie Robb. Inspired by Sara Gruen’s beloved 2006 historical romance novel, along with its acclaimed 2011 film adaptation starring Robert Pattinson and Reese Witherspoon, Water for Elephants transports audiences into a mesmerizing world of love, adventure, and wonder.

Water for Elephants offers a visually captivating theatrical experience, led by Grant Gustin of The Flash, making a charming Broadway debut as protagonist Jacob Jankowski. The cast also includes Gregg Edelman, portraying the older version of Jankowski, reflecting on his life’s journey and its poignant memories. Isabelle McCalla shines as Marlena, alongside Paul Alexander Nolan as August, Stan Brown as Camel, Joe DePaul as Walter, Sara Gettelfinger as Barbara, and Wade McCollum as Wade.

In the midst of the Great Depression in 1931, Jacob, grappling with recent family tragedy after abandoning his veterinary studies due to the loss of his parents in a tragic car accident, embarks on a journey out West. Jacob finds refuge among the animal trainers, knife-throwers, acrobats, and clowns that make up the weary Benzini Brothers Circus. Behind the vibrant performances lies a reality of exhaustion and deprivation; the performers are overworked and underpaid, while the animals suffer from neglect and malnourishment.

As Jacob immerses himself in the world of the circus, he soon bonds with the ailing elderly Camel, jovial clown Walter, glamorous showgirl Barbara, and most notably, Marlena: the beautiful horse-trainer and performer. Marlena happens to be married to circus owner and ringmaster August, an erratic man given to sudden eruptions of violence. August, desperate to save his struggling circus, reluctantly hires Jacob as an animal veterinarian.

Following the heartbreaking loss of Marlena’s cherished stallion, Star, August acquires Rosy, a 53-year-old elephant, for the circus. Jacob and Marlena embark on the task of training Rosy, with kindness and compassion, falling in love with the precious animal alongside their developing romance. The tense August, of course, is not so patient with Rosy, and resorts to pressuring and hurting the poor animal in hopes of rapid progress for the upcoming performances.

As the Benzini Brothers Circus travels the country, captivating audiences with its astonishing acts, Jacob and Marlena must discover their true love, and save the animals as well as the rest of the performers. Water is essential for all life: the animals, humans, and keeping the circus alive. Elephants drink huge sums of water in a day; carrying water for elephants would be a near impossible task. To carry all of this water is like carrying a huge burden, just like the one faced by Jacob and Marlena.

I really enjoyed Water for Elephants, and, in my view, it stands out as one of the highlights of Broadway’s 2024 season, being so incredibly unique. The show effortlessly combines elements of humor, entertainment, and suspense. Its visual appeal is sensational, featuring breathtaking costumes, exquisite sets, and most notably, remarkable acrobatics and animal puppets. The ensemble cast, many of whom made their Broadway debut after honing their talents in renowned circuses like Cirque du Soleil, are so spectacular with their breathtaking acrobatics.

Much like the innovative puppetry in Broadway’s production of The Lion King, Water for Elephants introduces its animal characters with a similar sense of artistry. Rosy the elephant is cleverly introduced very gradually: first a glimpse of a trunk, then a floppy ear, one leg and then another. When Rosy finally appears in her full form, the enormous and detailed life-like puppet is truly magnificent. In addition to Rosy, all the other puppet animals are portrayed with such marvelous beauty.

Water for Elephants really transports Broadway audiences back in time to the enchanting world of a traveling circus in the 1930s. While the Benzini Brothers Circus may have been dubbed the most spectacular show on Earth, Water for Elephants is definitely one the greatest shows on Broadway.