Navigating the New Bathroom Policy

Sayge Rolnick

In an effort to maintain better supervision and accountability, a new and enhanced bathroom policy has been instituted, requiring students to carry a pass whenever they need to use the restroom during school hours. This new re-established guideline aims to strengthen the previous policies that had been instated, while also further addressing security, student safety, and minimizing class disruptions.

Under the new policy, each student must obtain a pass from his/her teacher before leaving the classroom to go to the bathroom. The pass is a blue plastic card hung on a lanyard, labeled with a respective room number; it must be carried by the student to the restroom, and, upon the student’s return, returned to the designated classroom location. Sofia Michelakos, a sophomore, thinks the new policy is fresh and effective: “As a person who goes to the bathroom frequently, it gets a little annoying to take the pass every time, but it is a smart way to keep track of where the students are.”

This system is intended to keep track of the number of students out of the classroom at any given time and ensure that they are where they are supposed to be. “Any type of hall pass can help maintain the orderly operation of the building where academics remain the focus. We are very fortunate that our hallways are mostly clear during class time, and requiring a pass to leave a classroom helps ensure that,” Principal Matthew Sarosy explained. Additionally, the pass system helps teachers manage and limit the number of students out of the classroom at any one time, reducing the potential for distractions and ensuring that students remain engaged in their lessons as Sarosy emphasized.

There have also been instances of students using bathroom trips as an excuse to skip class, meet friends, or engage in inappropriate activities. Sophomore Cathlyne Cueto said, “I have seen multiple students throughout the year take advantage of going to the bathroom. They have used it as an excuse, especially with substitute teachers.” The pass system will alleviate these issues by providing a structured and monitored way for students to leave the classroom. Sarosy added, “Students who are in the hallway during class time will be expected to have a pass if asked. This can cut down on students wandering around the building, potentially creating a distraction to other classrooms.”

As with all new policies, there will be a period of adjustment across the school for both students and teachers. School administrators are committed to monitor and enhance the effectiveness of the new bathroom pass system. The new bathroom pass policy aims to improve safety and minimize disruption within the school community, and effective enforcement of this new policy will help balance safety and student autonomy, allowing for the long-term success of students and teachers alike.