Two Key Clubbers Make LHS History

Key Club’s ’24-’25 Division 7 Lieutenant Governor Jessica Strohofer Photo Courtesy of Jessica Strohofer

Earlier this year, LHS Key Club (KC) junior members Jessica Strohofer and Katy Gottlieb began the process of running for division and district office. In January, Strohofer found out she won the Division 7 lieutenant governor position, and in late March, Gottlieb won the district executive assistant position for the New York State District KC. This would mark the first time in Lynbrook history that students have been elected for either position. 

“When I first heard about the opening for lieutenant governor, I did not think I would have won. I wasn’t even sure about running for the position until Dr. Tieniber convinced me to. I then wrote my speech and was honestly hoping for the best when January rolled around. The day of the election I ended up having a volleyball tournament and got back 10 minutes before the election started. Lucky enough for me, I somehow had enough time to dress professionally. I joined the meeting, gave my speech, and had to answer two questions. After, I was put into a Zoom breakout room so that the other candidate could deliver their speech,” saud Strohofer. “However, I was never added back into the Zoom after, which made me think I did not get the position. After a few minutes, I got a text saying congratulations, which made me confused. I was then added back into the Zoom where everyone was saying congrats. I was shocked as I didn’t think I won, but it made me so excited to start,” she added.

“As lieutenant governor, also known as LTG, my job is to make sure all 11 schools in my division do the report forms and stay on top of their game. I also make a newsletter every month and do weekly updates every week as LTG. I’ve always had a love for Key Club, but this really pushed it. Now I don’t know what I would do without Key Club, and I am thankful to have gotten [this position] as it shows the true meaning of service,” added Strohofer.

KC Advisor Benedict Tieniber said, “I recommended Jessica for [lieutenant governor] since she is a leader; we thought she would be great for this position because she is organized and a ‘go-getter.’ This is the first time we have ever had a Lynbrook Key Club member be a Division LTG.”

Key Club’s ’24-’25 Executive Assistant Katy Gottlieb Photo Courtesy of Katy Gottlieb

“In January, I officially embarked on my journey to run for higher office for the New York District Key Club. I had to fill out forms, make a campaign flier, plan my platform, and write and rehearse two speeches, all in preparation to speak in front of hundreds of people at the annual KC Leadership Training Conference in Albany. By the time March rolled around, my nerves prevailed, and it became so surreal. While on the bus to Albany, I received a last-minute text from the District Governor saying, ‘Mandatory candidates meeting at 5 o’clock.’ So upon arrival, I rushed to my hotel room and rapidly suited up. While at that meeting, the unexpected happened. Instead of delivering my two-minute speech that night, the one I had spent the whole four-hour bus riding practicing, I would have to give the nerve-wracking five-minute speech that evening. Despite this frustrating bump in the road, I began presenting my speech to literally anyone and everyone to ensure it was perfect for my big debut,” said Gottlieb.

“As I walked into the Fort Orange Ballroom for the first time to deliver my speech, adrenaline rushed through my veins. Even though I was nervous, the speech went well, and it was now time to practice my speech for Saturday where I would address the delegates for the last time before they made their final decision. On Saturday, I nailed my speeches and answered my fishbowl question efficiently. Despite everyone’s optimism, hearing the words ‘And your new District Treasurer is…’ and not hearing my name come out of the administrator’s mouth was heartbreaking. After all the time I had spent preparing for this moment, it was upsetting that I did not get the result I had hoped for. But I used this setback as motivation and continued to pursue higher office by filling out the rigorous Executive Assistant application,” added Gottlieb.

Gottlieb added, “Now, I currently serve as the district executive assistant for the New York District where I am responsible for assisting the district governor, creating monthly updates entitled ‘EA Exclaims,’ sending emails, hosting meetings, attending meetings, overseeing the lieutenant governors, planning events, and heading five committees. I am honored to uphold the position as district executive assistant and am so happy I get to represent Lynbrook at the District Level. The fact that I am making Lynbrook history by being the first student at the district level is an incredible feeling. I hope I can make Lynbrook proud.”

Tieniber expressed, “I recommended Katy for the role of district treasurer. However, she had a tough loss. Then, due to her incredible speech and work ethic, she was told to put in for [executive assistant] and won it! This is the first time we have ever had a Lynbrook KC member at any district position. I am very proud of her!”