Key Club Recognized at Yankee Stadium for Service Efforts

KC raised the most blood for a medium-sized school- 304 pints. Photo Courtesy of Benedict Tieniber

LHS’s Key Club (KC) took the train to Grand Central and the four line to Yankee Stadium to be recognized for HOPE (Helping Others Persevere and Excel) week on Wednesday, June 5. This recognition came with KC surpassing their tri-annual blood drive goal, as they were able to raise 304 pints of blood, saving 912 lives. 

Since KC raised the most blood for a medium-sized school, KC was awarded Yankee tickets to watch the New York Yankees play the Minnesota Twins. Freshman Skylar Wolkoff said, “Key Club was recognized because we were one of the schools that ‘Hit a home run’ and had the most lifesaving blood donations!” Wolkoff will be a vice president of KC next fall for the ‘24 -’25 service year. Trip chaperone and permanent substitute teacher Jessica Graepel expressed, “Yesterday was truly an amazing experience. It was nice seeing that the Key Club was being recognized at HOPE Week for all of the hard work and dedication that they have put into the blood drives. I could not think of a better group of kids to be recognized. My overall experience was a fantastic one to say the least.” 

Sophomore Luke Pignataro received the opportunity to stand at home plate with other high schoolers who were recognized. Pignataro was chosen due to his immense love for baseball and the Yankees, and for being an avid Key Clubber and proponent of service. Graepel recalled, “Hearing everyone cheer for Luke and the other students on the field when he was holding the banner really showed how much people appreciate what Key Club does.” Pignataro commented, “It was amazing to have gone on the field. It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience because I’ve been a Yankee fan forever.” Pignataro will also be another vice president of KC next year.

“My favorite part of the day was watching the Yankees score four runs in the first inning and seeing all of the students jumping out of their seats. For the students, it was just another baseball game. But for people like Dr. T and I, that day was so much more than just a baseball game. Other people got to see how special the kids at LHS truly are,” Graepal conveyed. Wolkoff agreed and added, “I had so much fun, and being surrounded by some of my closest friends just amplified the joy! The best part of any event is not the event itself, but the memories we create while we’re there. I’m so grateful to be a part of such an amazing and generous club!” Pignataro added, “I would like to thank Doc for choosing me to represent Lynbrook and our Key Club; it was a very big honor.” LHS KC members look forward to their future blood drives and to raising the most pints of blood to end back up at Yankee Stadium again.