Major Upsets within “The Big Dance”

Photo+by+Jacob+Rice+on+Unsplash%0A+
Photo by Jacob Rice on Unsplash

It is every basketball fan’s favorite time of year: March Madness. Established in 1939, March Madness is one of the most anticipated and watched events in all of sports. The NCAA Division 1 men’s basketball tournaments is a single-elimination tournament of 68 teams that compete in seven rounds for the National Championship. Every year, millions of fans make brackets depending on who they think will win each game. Part of the thrill of the tournament is watching the lower-seeded teams upset the higher-seeded teams, and that usually busts many fans’ brackets. Here are the biggest upsets in the tournaments through the Final Four.

In the East region, the No. 13 seed Yale Bulldogs beat the No. 4 seed Auburn Tigers, 78-76. Yale found themselves down late in the game, but Guard John Poulakidas anchored the comeback and the defense held off the Tigers in the final seconds to secure the win. John Poulakidas led the way with 28 points. The Yale Bulldogs went on to lose to the No. 5 seed San Diego State Aztecs in the second round.

Also in the South region, possibly the biggest and most surprising upset of them all, the No. 14 seed Oakland Golden Grizzlies defeated the No. 3 seed Kentucky Wildcats, 80-76. Jack Gohlke led the way for the Grizzlies with 32 points and 10 three pointers. Oakland kept it close throughout the entire game and took a 5-point lead midway through the second half. Their defense, along with Gohlke’s clutch three-pointers, led them to possibly the most astonishing upset of the tournament. Oakland went on to lose to the No. 11 seed NC State Wolfpack in the second round. When asked who his bracket buster was and if it takes the excitement away from the tournament, junior Anthony Scarcella said, “Kentucky. I had them all the way in my Final 4. I think depending on how far you have that team going can alter your excitement on watching the tournament. To me, watching March Madness is always fun.”

In the West region, and in the Sweet 16, the No. 4 seed Alabama Crimson Tide beat the No. 1 seed UNC Tar Heels, 89-87. It was tight throughout the entire game, and it came down to the final seconds. With 40 seconds left in regulation, Grant Nelson came up with a clutch 3-point play to give the Crimson Tide the lead. Alabama’s defense stayed strong and held off the Tar Heels in the finals seconds. Grant Nelson was also Alabama’s leading scorer with 24 points. The Crimson Tide beat the No. 6 seed Clemson Tigers and are in the Final Four.

In the South region, the No. 11 seed NC State Wolfpack made it all the way to the final four. NC State surprisingly had easy win over the No. 6 seed Texas Tech Red Raiders in the first round. They continued their Cinderella run to the Final Four by beating the 14 seed Oakland Golden Grizzlies in the second round, the No. 2 seed Marquette Golden Eagles in the Sweet 16, and the No. 4 seed Duke Blue Devils in the Elite Eight. This is what March Madness is about, lower-seeded teams making a name for themselves.

Many fans claim that March Madness is the most exciting time of year in sports. When asked about his thoughts on it, sophomore varsity basketball player Cooper Cordes said, “Yes, I would agree 100%. The first four days of March Maness are the most exciting days of the sports calendar year. There is nothing like coming home from a day of school and being able to watch multiple competitive basketball games. Sixty-eight teams, all with the chance of winning a national title, you couldn’t ask for more.” Junior Luke Dantona said, “March Madness is so entertaining to watch, and any team can win on any given day, so you have to be on your game.”