The Goonies: Class of 2026 Seizes Bronze

Sophomores+assemble%21+Photo+Courtesy+of+Brian+Donaldson+
Sophomores assemble! Photo Courtesy of Brian Donaldson

The concept of the “Battle of the Classes” is one that has existed in high schools across the country for countless decades. It is often the highlight of many high schoolers’ years and is a fun way to stay involved. While it is a regarded tradition, LHS’s Class Night surpasses all expectations. It is an almost year-long pileup of points that come from each class’s Homecoming banner, Sports Night participation, and Class Night participation. This year, the sophomores showed up with their best and proved how LHS’s Class Night is truly the best high school tradition around.

With the themes this year being “friends we’ve made along the way” and the ‘80s, the sophomores chose The Goonies as the inspiration for their skit. When asked why The Goonies  was chosen, Dani Zhanay, sophomore Class Night co-chairperson, said, “[The Goonies] seemed like a movie that would connect with the audience and one that we would be able to manipulate in order to make our own story around it.” With her extensive experience in dancing, Zhanay choreographed the dances that were featured in the skits and helped lead the sophomores to second place in the dance category.

While dances and the skit seem like the biggest events, the art that goes into Class Night is arguably one of the most memorable. The box (also called the backdrop) and the 56-foot-long banner are extreme contributors to scoring, and they come with a hefty workload. Sophomore Art Co-Chairperson Payton Stalter said, “While it is a crazy and stressful process, it is so rewarding when everything is done, and just seeing how everything comes together makes it all worth it.” The sophomores utilized artifacts from the movie and characters like Sloth on their banner to accurately portray their theme.

With two Class Night chairpeople who have done it for the past two years, the sophomores were led by experienced people who were able to give guidance on the process like pros. Kaden Rogers, sophomore Class Night co-chairperson, believes that “while there is obvious competition in Class Night that can become a little cut-throat, it is honestly just cool to see everyone come together under this one tradition that has lasted so many years in our town.”

While third place may not have been the exact outcome that the sophomores hoped for, the smiles and laughs they had together throughout the whole process made it all worth it. Being part of this tradition shows what it is like to be a Lynbrook student, and the tenth graders truly exemplified that this year.