Going the Distance

Dr.+Benedict+Tieniber+ran+206+miles+in+honor+of+the+206+graduating+seniors.+

Benedict Tieniber

Dr. Benedict Tieniber ran 206 miles in honor of the 206 graduating seniors.

Due to the current pandemic, the classes of 2020, whether they are graduating from college, high school, or middle school, have all had to deal with ending an important era under unusual circumstances. Sadly, students will not be able to receive the proper in person celebration that they have worked so hard for. Dr. Benedict Tieniber, accounting, senior seminar, and virtual enterprise teacher, decided to honor the LHS class of 2020 by running 206 miles to honor all 206 graduates. He recognized that “The seniors worked very hard the last four years, [and] the year didn’t end the way we all thought it would,” so Dr. Tieniber found a unique way to let “all the seniors [know] how proud we are of all of their achievements.”

Dr. Tieniber began his endeavor on May 5 to honor the Class of 2020, who had to have their prom canceled and will not have a traditional graduation or awards night ceremony. Dr. Tieniber told the LI Herald that he came up with the idea when “[He] was running one day in late April and thought, why not run in honor of the seniors of Lynbrook High School? [He then] reached out to guidance to find out how many seniors [we] had, and that’s how [he] came up with 206 miles to run in one month.” Running such an immense distance in such a short amount of time is no easy feat, but Dr. Tieniber said he felt prepared because, “I normally run about a 100 miles a month.” Additionally, according to the LI Herald, he has been running since he was a senior at Islip High School in 2002 and has run numerous New York Road Runners, “competed in events for various charities,” and has even ran the New York City Marathon on numerous occasions.

Dr. Tieniber stated that the key to success in his effort was staying focused and switching up the locations in which he runs. He said that “he does not have a set number of miles he runs each day; his course depends on how he feels. He noted, however, that he has to run an average of seven miles a day to meet his goal, and that he switches his course. Friends and family members also regularly join him.” the LI Herald describes. Dr. Tieniber mentioned, “I never felt like quitting. However, some days were harder than others; knowing why I was running and the end goal kept me motivated.”

On June 4, he completed his goal and described the feeling as “priceless” and credited his success to “staying focused.” Senior Evan Ostroff said, “I was in Key Club, and he is the advisor. He led the club very well and encouraged everyone to participate and volunteer for community events. It is very inspiring to see a teacher that cares so much about the students, and I am very thankful that he dedicated his goal to the senior class.” Another senior, Gillary Cifuentes-Arenas, stated, “Dr. T was one of the teachers that helped me find an internship that I desired to do. Even though I didn’t specifically have him in any of my classes, I really do appreciate the effort he made when running 206 miles for our graduating class. It is amazing that he still did it without having all of us as his students.” Andie Glanzer, another 2020 graduate, said, “I have not had Dr.T as a teacher but always admired his involvement in the school, and I thought it was touching that he ran a mile for each senior.” Matthew Sarosy, assistant principal, added, “Dr. T’s creative way to honor the Class of 2020 is a great example of how Lynbrook is trying to show the students we are all thinking of them, and we are all in this together.”

Dr. Tieniber said, “To the Class of 2020…there is so much I want to say to them. Mostly, I wish we were together this time of year. All the end of year senior activities are exciting and are a way for the class to celebrate all their accomplishments together. I do hope that many years from now they can look back at this time and wear it as a badge of honor. They are the class that are entering their post-high school lives during the most uncertain time in generations. They have shown how resilient they are, and I look forward to watching all their successes in the years to come.”