Student Diversity Council Serves Up at “Taste of Marion Street”

Marion Street students play with cultural crafts. Photo Courtesy of @lhsdiversityclub Instagram page.

Members of LHS’s Student Diversity Council (SDC) volunteered at Marion Street Elementary School’s second annual “Taste of Marion Street ” event. Parents and students of Marion Street brought dishes from their respective cultures to share with the Lynbrook community. Some wore ethnic clothing to contribute to the multicultural celebration. There were many festivities in store for the evening, which ran from 6-8 p.m on Thursday, Feb. 8. 

The volunteers arrived at 4:30 p.m. to assist members of the Parent Teacher Association (PTA) in preparing the gymnasium for the eventful evening. Careful consideration was put into adorning the room with balloons colored green and blue, to represent the earth. A cultural crafts table was set up to keep the children occupied; it included a large map against the wall in which students would put a map marker sticker where their family is from. 

When asked what the inspiration behind holding such an event was, Marion Street Principal Theresa Macchia responded, “The Marion Street PTA created a subcommittee to support DEI initiatives. The diverse group of parent members were looking for a creative way for our families to meet each other and celebrate our unique and diverse school community.” 

Upon entering the event, students would be given a passport activity book in which they could get stamps and stickers as if they had traveled around the world. Upbeat music from various cultures was played throughout the evening to keep the mood fun and exciting. Attendees feasted on flavors from various countries: Italy, Africa, Guyana, India, Morocco, Puerto Rico, Jamaica, and many others. 

Over the duration of the celebration, two performances were given. The first was a presentation by Marion Street karate students who are enrolled at the local dojo. The second was a song played on the ukulele by a Lynbrook student. These showcases were the highlight of the evening. 

Council members help serve food. Photo Courtesy of @lhsdiversityclub Instagram page.

Volunteer and freshman Lyla Gaffoor commented on the celebration: “I loved tasting all the different cuisines. It was so nice to be able to have authentic foods from around the world. Additionally, I loved the atmosphere and seeing how many different cultures there were even just at Marion Street.” She added how it was important as an SDC member to be at an event such as this because it fosters a community spirit amongst the many cultures in Lynbrook. 

District Superintendent Paul Lynch, who was an attendee, felt likewise. “This is Lynbrook. It’s the beauty of [Lynbrook]. One of the things I love is OwlCare and OwlProud, and when I walk into this, this is OwlProud for me,” he expressed. 

The celebration was a success thanks to the major dedication of the Marion Street PTA and the assistance from SDC volunteers. “Even though the club members were really busy serving food and doing their jobs, we enjoyed seeing everyone happy and dancing and just in general everyone bonding. And the most important thing [being] to connect people and get to know each other and their backgrounds,” explained volunteer and freshman Subhana Wasim. 

SDC advisor and social studies teacher Olga Zisel could not have been more impressed with the members’ contributions to the evening: “I was incredibly proud of the high school students’ volunteering efforts. Their enthusiasm and dedication in contributing to the event truly showcased the importance of embracing and celebrating diversity within our school community.” She continued, “Events like ‘Taste of Marion’ are crucial in Lynbrook because they provide a platform for individuals from diverse backgrounds to share their heritage, traditions, and cuisine, which promotes inclusivity and unity within the community.”