New School Year, New Coronavirus Procedures

At the start of any typical school year, the freshman class would desperately comb through the twisting hallways of LHS, searching for the mysterious third-and-a-half floor and the swimming pool on the roof. Sophomores, filled with a sense of maturity and superiority over the little ninth-graders, would swagger down the hallways, glad to not be the “newbies” of the school. Juniors would nervously approach their classes, filled with dread about the horror stories regarding the intensity of their AP courses, yet excited to start a new chapter as upperclassmen. The seniors would prance through the hallways with familiarity and confidence, eager to help the freshman navigate the hallways and begin their steps into adulthood. 

Yet alas, the 2020-2021 school year is far from typical. Every student and faculty member has felt as if they are a freshman; with one-way hallways, strict mask-wearing protocols, and plexiglass shields around every desk, it will take lots of adjustments to get used to the “new normal.” 

The district has taken many precautions throughout the Kindergarten Center, elementary schools, middle schools, and high school to ensure a safe and clean learning environment for everyone. At the high school level, students are offered the choice between full-remote learning, or a hybrid option. The hybrid-learning experience means that students attend school every other day based on their last name. If a student opts for the hybrid-learning option, he is required to wear a face covering. 

To enter the building, a student must have his temperature taken at the door or choose to have it taken at home and reported through an app called ZippSlip. Anyone with a temperature over 100 degrees Fahrenheit, or presenting symptoms of Covid-19, will not be permitted to enter the building.

Once a student enters the building, he waits in the gymnasium rather than the cafeteria before going to first-period class at 7:20 AM. Both the small and large gyms have been arranged with classroom desks spaced six feet apart to function as a cafeteria. The gymnasium also acts as the cafeteria for students. 

The hallways are lined with one-way direction signs. With the extra time it takes to get to one’s next period class on time with the single-way routes, there is a ten-minute break between classes, vastly different from the usual four minutes between classes. Because of the extended time between periods, each period has been shortened six minutes. 

If any staff member or student has been within six feet of a person infected with Covid-19, both the exposed and infected persons will not be allowed to enter school property. Those affected must self-quarantine for a minimum of 14 days. If the people involved enter LHS, the building will be cleaned thoroughly and may be closed for a short period for effective cleaning. The incident will then be reported to the Department of Health. 

When asked about their feelings about the new corona virus procedures and the unique learning experiences, students were excited to chime in. Sophomore Sara Curley and Senior Finn Boyle both enjoy being able to take their time doing work in an at-home setting half of the time.  

Curley said, “I’m a hybrid student. I personally enjoy the hybrid system because every other day I like being able to chill out more and learn at home. When I am at school, I like being with my friends, so it is a good balance and hybrid learning makes the week go by faster. When I am at home, I feel like I am learning the same as if I were in school.” 

“While I am home, I have a new responsibility of trying to find the best place for me to work without getting sidetracked or distracted,” said Boyle. Junior Isabella Sferrazza shared, “I believe the new procedures are going to be very helpful in preventing the spread of Coronavirus, and I’m glad we get to be in school safely.” 

Senior Ricki Rizzo was originally learning in the hybrid model but made the decision to go full-remote. She explained, “I felt very comfortable switching to be fully remote, and it wasn’t that difficult of a switch. I made that choice because of the Covid-19 cases that were in the building. My sister has an immune deficiency, and most of my aunts and uncles (who I see every week) are above the age of 60. It makes me feel better that I am not putting them at risk.”

The Lynbrook School District is dedicated to helping its students learn in a safe environment. Amid these trying times, cleanliness and cooperation are essential. Despite the obstacles that were faced, various reopening committees strived to create a comfortable learning atmosphere for students. Although the set up is not ideal at times, improvements develop each day to make this school year one to remember.