Pandemic Greatly Impacts Students

What started as an epidemic in China has quickly grown into a pandemic affecting the entire planet. As the number of worldwide cases of novel coronavirus(COVID-19) increases, more and more schools across the world have shut down, turning to online classes; however, closing schools to stop the spread of COVID-19 does not come without its disadvantages.

Many students across the globe have turned to virtual learning, taking classes online in lieu of going to school. Although this seems like an adequate solution, students with poor or no Wi-Fi or access to the Internet will not be able to keep up with their peers who have these resources available. Another issue with the closure of schools is the hunger some students will face as the response to this pandemic is created. According to The New York Times, a combined 45 million American students depend on school for free breakfast and lunch, something that will not be as easily accessible to them should their schools close. School closings affect parents as well; if their children are home from school, they must either take off of work to care for them or find a sitter if they are deemed essential workers.

The COVID-19 epidemic has affected countless schools across the world, including those in Lynbrook. The Lynbrook School District, initially closed for two weeks, is now closed through April 20, which is after the scheduled Spring Recess. Many students are practicing self-isolation, giving them far less to no opportunities to socialize with their friends.

Students gave their reactions to how they are being impacted by the pandemic thus far. “I don’t like all the work that comes with online classes,” says Victoria Singson, a freshman. “I also don’t like how people are panic-buying everything [to stock up because of the pandemic],” adds Singson. Freshman Chloe Vanegas expresses concern about the lack of socializing: “I hate not being able to talk to people and spending all my time at home.” Allison Anemone, also a freshman, states, “I don’t like how hard it is to do work; if you have a questions, you have to email your teacher, and it takes a long time for them to respond. It’s also easier to get distracted from work at home.”

The COVID-19 outbreak has affected everyone, from our friends to people within our larger community to those across the world. Students are forced to take online classes, causing stress that only amplifies when paired with self-quarantine.