Classnight 2020: The Show Must Go On

Classnight, a 92-year-old LHS tradition, was altered this year. It took a global pandemic for that to occur: COVID-19.

The virus has infected over 700,000 people worldwide, and over 37,000 people have been killed by the virus thus far. Schools, businesses, and restaurants all over the world have been shut down during this time of uncertainty. This year’s nighttime portion of Classnight was forced to be cancelled as a result.

The show went on only as a daytime performance for participating students and some faculty on Friday, Mar. 13. Sophomore Sophia Schneider stated that everyone had “to give it [his/her] all the first time [the skits were performed] because there were no second chances [this year].”

The decision for a daytime-only performance was made by school administrators and the Board of Education, as many felt it was the only way to ensure the safety of the community. Principal Joseph Rainis explained why he believed altering the event was the best possible decision: “Lynbrook is a very close-knit community, and we have a lot of alumni who are parents, so they know the excitement that Classnight brings. I thought that introducing the students and community to a room where you have 1,200-1,400 people rubbing elbows all night could be a potential issue.” The skits were, however, filmed and live-casted in attempt to share the experience with parents and alumni while eliminating health risks.

To many, the daytime performance of Classnight is typically a “dress rehearsal” that gets all the wrinkles out before the nighttime performance; however, this year, the daytime performance was scored, and a winner was chosen. Though there was no nighttime performance, English teacher, Student Government Association (SGA) advisor, and longtime community member Mary Kirby said that she still believed that “students were all in with their eyes on the first-place trophy.” Rainis agreed: “[The high school saw] good performances on Friday.” No grade slowed down its preparation for the big performance, and everyone worked equally as hard–if not even harder–as before. Practices went on as scheduled, and everyone remained focused on the big show.

The main factor that led to the cancellation of the nighttime performance of Classnight was the concern for “student and staff health and safety,” explained Rainis. He elaborated, “Just north of us is New Rochelle, and it is now a one-mile circle of demarcation. Nobody [in New Rochelle] imagined something like that could have happened, but it is happening, and I do not want that to be a possibility here to the degree that we can prevent it.”

Kirby, who is also an adviser for the freshman class, understood that “the number one concern for any school district administrator and educator is the safety and well-being of the students and staff.”

Students may understand the decision, but many were still upset as practices took place for weeks, and planning went on for months. Kirby explained that “this decision should absolutely disappoint the LHS community. Classnight is an event that students look forward to, commit to, and are diligent and dedicated to each year. The performances become greater and greater each year.”

Sophomore Classnight chair people, Rachel Belmont and Jaden Harvin, shared their reactions to the decision. Belmont and Harvin, like the other six class chairs, put an immense amount of effort into every aspect of Classnight: the skit, the dances, the costumes, and the art. Belmont believed the decision was made because “the school is very concerned about the safety of the older people and the students.” Belmont added, “What is riskier than having a lot of people in a closed gym? That situation would make the risk [of one contracting coronavirus] a lot higher.” Harvin agreed that the decision was ultimately made “to keep everyone safe.” He also added that “[he] feels deep remorse for the seniors” and that it is “unfair to the seniors”; however, he “understand[s] why the precautions were taken.”  Harvin, like many others, remembered great Classnight skits from the past, and explained that “the Class of 2020’s sophomore skit” remains his favorite and will be one that he will always remember.

Students who had been working very hard to make Classnight a success were very upset. Sophomore Lexi Capitali, a lead in the sophomore skit, explained that she “[does] not agree with the decision. [The cast has] been working so hard…” Fellow lead Danielle Vito said she understands that “it would have been a safety hazard [if they allowed the community into the gymnasium],” though she still just “wanted Classnight” to its full extent. Senior Andie Glanzer said, “The school is justified in its decision, and it is probably the best decision they could have made given the circumstances.” Glanzer added, “I am really sad, though, that there isn’t a nighttime performance, but I am grateful that we still have a Classnight.”

Freshman chairperson Dylan Baltes was very excited for her first Classnight and explained that she felt the changes impacted the performance: “The performance [changed] dramatically, and it [was] not the same. My skit was made with the consideration that parents would be there, and music was cut according to music the students and parents would like. No one will be as excited.” Senior chairperson Jolie Sebel shared her feelings: “It was definitely disappointing that we couldn’t share our hard work with all our friends and families, but I’m glad the school took precautions to keep us safe.”

Although the decision was made for the safety of the community, Principal Rainis agreed with many of the students that the change was necessary but upsetting: “I feel horrible. We are all in the same pickle right now.” As Rainis elaborated, there is no good answer to a pandemic, and the community and school are simply doing their best to keep everyone safe.

Despite the change, the students and staff involved did not stop working extremely hard. At the end of the day, Lynbrook is a close-knit and tradition-based community, and, as such, it appears the show must always go on.