Red Sox Busted for Sign Stealing

Charlie Ben-Ami, Contributor

The Boston Red Sox and The New York Yankees have been rivals for years, but their rivalry has been known to be the best in sports, and it just may have recently gained another layer. As many know, The Yankees caught the Red Sox cheating in their series between August 18 and August 20.

According to the  New York Times, the alleged cheating involved the Red Sox trainer receiving signs from his Apple watch and relaying the information to various players. This offense is illegal due to the fact there was an Apple watch involved. Under MLB rules, no outside technology is allowed in the dugout. Some feel that this use of a watch to communicate stolen signs is not an issue and that stealing signs is commonplace in baseball.  In a September 6 Bleacher Report (bleacherreport.com) article entitled “Dustin Pedroia Defends Red Sox,” the long-time Red Sox  Second Baseman said, “It’s part of the game.”  Even if this is true, the Red Sox were still punished.

Dylan Burfield,a sophomore and a life-long Yankee fan, stated, “I think they got the fair punishment, but they could’ve gotten more.”  When asked about stealing signs being a part of the game, Burfield said, “I think it is, but to the excessive extent that the Red Sox did [it] was not okay.”  The Red Sox will be fined an undisclosed amount, but the team escaped any serious damage.

MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred agrees. In a statement he released, Manfred said, “Many teams steal signs, and it is not illegal.”  In addition, he said, “Major League Baseball Regulations do, however, prohibit the use of electronic equipment during games and state that no such equipment may be used for the purpose of stealing signs or conveying information designed to give a Club an advantage.”  Manfred also stated, “Despite this clear regulation, the prevalence of technology, especially the technology used in the replay process, has made it increasingly difficult to monitor appropriate and inappropriate uses of electronic equipment.  Based on the investigation by my office, I have nonetheless concluded that during the 2017 season the Boston Red Sox violated the Regulation quoted above by sending electronic communications from their video replay room to an athletic trainer in the dugout.”

Although stealing signs is something many feel is wrong, it is something that happens in baseball. An interesting twist in this case is the fact that the Yankees were also penalized; their offense being the improper use of a bullpen phone. Although the actions are unclear, both teams may have dodged major bullets. However, opinions among people vary. Jake McDonald, a sophomore who is a fan of neither team, said, “ I think both punishments should be even, and both teams should be fined.” When asked about what he thinks of technology in baseball, McDonald said, “I think it’s good in most cases, but not in this case.”  This raises another question as addressed in the Manfred statement above. With the prevalence of technology in baseball, how does Major League Baseball monitor what is used and what is banned? Opinions on the scandal seem to change by team allegiance. Boston Red Sox fan and Boston resident, Jonah Sacher had this to say, “Although I agree that the Red Sox should be punished, it shouldn’t be a substantial punishment.” Through all of this, one thing may be clear: Rob Manfred may have an issue with which to deal.