IDs, Please!

IDs, Please!

Recently, LHS implemented new security measures that aim to prevent vandalism in the school’s bathrooms and counteract misbehavior in the halls during class. Previously, student identification cards were only used to gain access into the building, monitored at the front door. Now, students must hand in their I.D.s and sign out with their name and the time of exit before leaving to go to the bathroom, get water, or go to the nurse’s office. This new rule is a hot topic at LHS, stirring up opinions and conversation both inside and outside of the classroom.

Another factor contributing to the establishment of this recent change was the issue of students leaving the building after asking to use the bathroom. Principal Joe Rainis explained that the rule was implemented to counteract cutting class as well as the vandalism in the bathroom: “If people feel they are being held accountable, they will behave in an accountable way. There have been no incidents since the start of this [new rule].”

Some speculate that this recent concern for tracking who goes to the bathroom may stem from a recent increase in e-cigarette use on school grounds, specifically in the bathrooms. The LHS staff has cracked down on drug use and is continuing to punish those who break the school’s no-drug policy.

Other Long Island high schools have similar bathroom restrictions. The Washington Post recently reported that Northport High School “requires students to wear identification cards at all times while in school and to sign in and out of the bathroom every time they use the facilities,” in an article entitled “Long Island High School Requires Students to Wear IDs, Sign in and out of Bathroom.”

Rainis further explained, “I am not interested in giving anybody a difficult time, but we believe and know that everybody at LHS understands that we’re in this together. We need to look out for one another and look out for this place. Vandalism is a selfish act, and there is no reason or need for people to behave in that way. Just give people a reason to think about who they are and what they are about.”

While many students and staff agree with Rainis’ opinion on the matter, others strongly oppose it, finding it ineffective and unnecessary. Sophomore Madison Marchetta expressed, “Honestly, I don’t think the I.D. cards are effective at all. We should have a much more advanced way to track who enters and exits the building. Most students don’t even bother showing their I.D.s when they enter the building. A lot of students don’t even bring them to school at all. If our school is concerned about safety, we need to improve this aspect of protecting our building.” 

On the other hand, Social Studies and Psychology Teacher John Cornicello commented, “I believe this is a step in the right direction.” Junior Jacey Stock agreed; “I find the I.D. cards to be effective. What has been going on in the girls’ and boys’ bathrooms is horrible, and students are taking advantage of the freedom of using the bathroom. This new policy will hopefully prevent students from further vandalizing the bathroom. Teachers will know what students were in the bathroom during the time something bad was done and will be able to punish those who did it. However, not all those in the bathroom at that time are guilty, and it is unfair for those to be punished who were not involved,” stated Stock. 

Like any new security protocol, this is a change will take some time to get accustomed to. While it is unfortunate that such a policy had to be put in place, it may be the necessary push to teach students to respect school property, stay in class when required, and, of course, to remember to bring their I.D.s every day.