Deck the Halls in NYC!

Olivia Lanteri
Holiday festivities to embark on in the city!

New York City is an enchanting place to be during the winter months. The city transforms into a winter wonderland filled with festive decorations, lights, and an unparalleled sense of holiday spirit. With an array of activities to do during the holiday season that cater to all interests and ages, wandering throughout NYC in December can be a special time for anyone.

The most iconic annual holiday activity in NYC is the lighting of the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree. Standing tall amongst the large buildings, the tree becomes the focal point of the city, emphasizing holding cheer. People from all over the country and world gather to witness and take a picture in front of the magnificent display. Senior Charles Reis said, “My family goes to see the tree lighting every year, and each time it is such a memorable experience.” Live performances around the tree and a festive atmosphere perfectly capture the essence of the special season.

For those who like to shop, the holiday market in Bryant Park—Bryant Park’s Winter Village—is a perfect place to explore local craftsmanship and indulge in delicious seasonal treats. There are also many more holiday markets scattered throughout the city that provide the opportunity to make holiday shopping for yourself or loved ones a delightful and festive experience. Senior Rocky Romano said, “The holiday markets are filled with so many unique items and gifts that it makes gift-choosing an easy and fun time. I went last year, and my friends and family enjoyed all the cool things I got from the markets.”

Facing the cold weather head-on and engaging in physical activity, like ice skating at Wollman Rink in Central Park or the rink at Rockefeller Center, is a unique experience. The crisp air, the sound of blades on ice, and the people enjoying an activity with their loved ones is an idyllic winter scene. “It is [a] tradition for my family to go ice skating at the Rockefeller [Center] rink after visiting the tree; everyone should try it out at least once in their life, considering the city is only a 30-minute train ride,” said Reis.

The Radio City Christmas Spectacular is a timeless show; its first performance was back in 1933. Since then, the show has become a New York Christmas tradition. The 90-minute show features more than 140 performers and an original musical score, and it combines singing, dancing, and humor with traditional scenes. The star performers are the beloved Rockettes, whose high kicks and sequined costumes are trademarks of the show. “[A] touch of theatrical magic to the holiday season is the best way to enjoy it,” remarked senior Elizabeth Ortiz. “My family and I have seen the Christmas Spectacular before, and it truly was such a fun experience I would love to do again.”