Key Club Teaches Kindergarteners Halloween Safety

Courtesy+of+%40lhskeyclubb+Instagram+
Courtesy of @lhskeyclubb Instagram

No matter how fun Halloween is, safety is always a concern for trick-or-treaters. For their annual safety talk on Oct. 31, Key Club members walked across the street to the Kindergarten Center to educate kindergarteners on how to stay safe on Halloween. The event was led by Key Club advisor Dr. Benedict Tieniber, President and senior Dea Pulatani, and Vice President and junior Kelsey Roth; the event was memorable for kindergarteners and high school students alike.

The kindergarteners learned safety lessons that they can keep in mind for future Halloweens, including looking both ways before crossing the street while trick or treating, having an adult check their candy before they eat it, and always staying with a group. Pulatani shared a frightening fact about the dangers of kidnapping or getting separated or lost: “Every 40 seconds, a child goes missing in the United States, so we taught them basic skills like stranger danger.” 

The kids were especially cautioned to stay alert when surrounded by lots of unknown people. Junior Emily Franklin shared, “The most important rule we made sure they knew was to always stay with a parent and/or a group of people.”

Every year, Key Club’s main goal with this event is to teach the young students important safety lessons, all while having some fun. Roth reflected, “The overall experience of talking to the kindergarteners was very heartwarming, and I enjoyed going back to the Kindergarten Center to teach the kindergarteners about Halloween safety.” 

The children and high school students interacted beyond a simple lesson about Halloween safety. Junior Erick Diaz elaborated, “They were all super excited, and we even asked them to go around and share their name and what their costume was, which they really enjoyed!” 

The safety lessons taught were not only applicable for Halloween; rather, the kindergarteners can follow the advice in all situations for the rest of their lives. All attending Key Club members would agree that the kids were full of energy and enthusiasm and that this annual talk is a great way to educate through creativity and fun.