Tips for Re-Entering “Back to School” Mode

Getting+back+to+the+%C2%A8back+to+school%C2%A8+mood+is+a+real+struggle.+However%2C+there+are+some+tips+and+tricks+to+make+it+easier.+
Kristina Ligai
Getting back to the ¨back to school¨ mood is a real struggle. However, there are some tips and tricks to make it easier.

After a two-month break from reality, it is common for students to struggle with returning to school. Daily challenges may include waking up early, following a structured schedule, and attaining good grades. Figuring out how to efficiently manage it all can be overwhelming. Nonetheless, advice from teachers and peers on how to switch back into the “back to school” mindset can help alleviate this stress.

One suggestion is to study in a workspace that fosters motivation and focusness. Whether it be at the library or in a quiet and organized space, one’s work environment is a substantial factor of success. Freshman Grace Fuentes explained, “I am the most productive in my bed because I like to be comfortable.” Junior Abby Piazza said, “I do homework in my room because it’s quiet, and nobody comes in.” 

Time management is also essential when going back to school. Once homework, exams, and extracurriculars are in full swing, it is challenging to navigate what to tackle first. One way students may go about this is by keeping a planner to organize assignments and due dates and plan study sessions accordingly. Science Research teacher Kathleen McAuley commented, “I think students should utilize the ‘time blocking’ technique when studying. However, there are several other steps you should take to manage your time. One example is preparing your backpack and your outfit for the next day the night before, so that in the morning you don’t feel pressured.” 

Creating a steady morning routine before school is advisable to get back into a well-coordinated routine. In other words, completing little tasks after waking up will create an optimistic outlook for the rest of the day. Although something like making one’s bed right after getting up may seem irrelevant, it truly can foster productivity.

Others find inspiration when they feel unmotivated. “I ask my friends for inspiration because they’re smart and I take suggestions from them on how to study,” said Piazza. Fuentes added, “I go on TikTok and search up inspirational quotes.” Asking friends for tips is also a great way to get motivated because when people see others working hard, they strive to work just as hard! 

Lastly, getting adequate grades is a common goal for students, although it is a tough task to manage after a lazy summer. “Going to extra help is the best option for students because you will get direct information based on a teacher’s lesson,” McAuley recommended. She continued, “Extra help is also beneficial because students will make connections with peers in the building that also want to succeed!”

Following these tips can form positive habits for resuming the school routine. Even so, not every suggestion will work for everyone, so it is important for each student to discover the most effective study methods and time management techniques for him or her.