CDP Holiday Boutique Is Major Success

Students sell items at the CDP Holiday Boutique

The Career Development Program’s (CDP) Holiday Boutique took place on Dec. 16 during periods eight and nine. During this event, students in the CDP sold holiday gifts to students and staff. The items sold included mugs with biscotti, cookies, hot chocolate mix, candy canes, a jar with peppermints, and buttons. The proceeds went towards purchasing gift cards given to Lynbrook students and families in need. 

The CDP students enjoyed raising money, working together, and spending time with LHS students and faculty. “I was happy to be able to stop by and help,” said sophomore Patrick Marino. “I was able to purchase cool gifts and help support the students’ hard work,” he added.

The CDP students worked with the Owl Buddies club to bake the biscotti and put the gifts together. Owl Buddy and senior Vinny Sullivan said his experience with the Owl Buddies was a lot of fun. “As we made the mugs with the hot chocolate packets and the jars full of holiday treats, we had conversations about the upcoming break and what everyone was hoping to get for Christmas,” Sullivan said. “I hope we get to do a similar event later in the year.” 

Within the first few minutes of the boutique’s opening, students had many buyers. Every gift was sold out within the first hour, making the students very happy. 

Besides allowing students and staff to pick up gifts, the Holiday Boutique was used to teach CDP students many valuable lessons, such as money management and communication skills. According to the program’s teacher Annie McKenna, “The holiday boutique benefits the students in CDP by providing them an opportunity to work with their high school peers who volunteer as Owl Buddies. It also allows them to practice real-life math skills application, as well as gain a sense of giving to those in need.”

McKenna said that she, the CDP students, and classroom aid Debbie Geiser traveled to Rite Aid to purchase gift cards. The gift cards were given to the LHS Guidance Department, which then distributed them to LHS students and families in need.

LHS students and staff alike are already looking forward to next year’s holiday boutique.