The “XC”ellent Division Champions

Photo courtesy of Alyssa Inserra

For the first time in six years, both the Lynbrook boys’ and girls’ varsity cross country teams are division champions. The bus ride home from their meet at Bethpage State Park was filled with euphoria, shared Junior Kaelyn O’Brien, as team members sang along to their favorite victory songs. 

O’Brien, a star athlete on the varsity basketball and lacrosse teams in addition to being a team captain for girls’ varsity cross country (XC), was proud of all the hard work she and her team put in to win. 

Senior Meghan McMahon has been a part of XC since her sophomore year, and she was very happy to cap off her senior season with a championship. “It was so great to be with my fellow teammates after the meet,” McMahon said, “knowing we had sealed divisions.” 

Behind every great sports team is a great coaching staff, and the Lynbrook XC team is backed by coaches who encourage and support their athletes every day. Government teacher Joseph Beyrer is the head coach of the girls’ varsity XC team. While in high school, he ran a sub-five-minute mile during football practice, wherein he lapped his entire team. As a result, he was invited to run with the cross country team. He attended most of their meets and was also the first-ever captain of the South Side High School winter track team. 

Now, as a coach, Beyrer said he enjoys watching his athletes succeed, grow, and become close with one another. “Cross country is probably my favorite running season to coach because we are usually a smaller team travelling together to our meets,” Beyrer said, “and it’s a lot of fun seeing the girls come together.” 

Over on the boys’ team, Head coach and technology teacher Peter McNally is a fan favorite among XC team members, always coming to practice full of enthusiasm and ready to cheer on his team. McNally was an avid track runner in high school and college.

“The best part about coaching cross country is seeing the camaraderie between the teams, especially when we get to have both the boys and girls run together,” McNally said. “It really is fun to watch!” 

Practices began in late August, and XC hit the ground running to prepare for their first league meet on Sept. 9, which was also Lynbrook’s first day of school. Freshman Penelope Yaker, who attended that first meet, admitted that the experience was nerve-wracking, but she was glad to run and get the win for Lynbrook.

“It was a little overwhelming because I knew I had to get through the day, then the meet; however, I think I did a good job,” Penelope said. She ran for the varsity team at several meets, proving to be a promising player in future seasons.

The regular season consisted of five league meets, including school from across Nassau County. Except for the first meet on Sept. 9, all meets were held on Mondays after school. The location of the meets switched between Eisenhower Park and Bethpage State Park. 

This season, there was a bus driver shortage in Nassau County, so some days, half of the battle was finding a way to get to the race. “We actually did miss one race because of the driver shortage, and it made me nervous because we counted on those drivers to be there early enough so we could be at the race venue at a certain time,” Beyrer said. Nonetheless, races were fought and won across the board, as both the boys’ and girls’ teams finished the season undefeated in their division. 

Juniors Sofia Yaker and Becky Marzari are two of the captains of the girls’ XC team. Sofia has made many lasting friendships during her three years on the team. “One of my favorite traditions and memories are the team dinners after a meet, where we can just relax, debrief, get to know each other more, and share a good meal,” Sofia said.

Marzari, who has raced in two half-marathons and is set to run her third later this year, is a very passionate runner and teammate. Marzari said she loves how enthusiastic her teammates are at meets, and how the culture of the team is very unified. “Our team is extremely accepting to all newcomers, and we are always excited to add someone to the crew,” she said. 

Like Sofia, Marzari has also made many friends and memories through XC and attributes the team’s success to her coach: “The team would not exist without Coach Beyer,” Marzari said. “He knows our limits, and pushes us to make us better than we believed we could be.” 

Seniors Andrew Director and Chris Gragnano are both captains on the boys’ XC team. Director has been on the team for several years, and he said he is happy to see how well everyone gets along. “We always have a good time during practice because everyone gets along very well both in school and while running,” Director said. 

Gragnano, who is also a member of the Lynbrook varsity lacrosse team, feels that the culture of the team is a motivating environment to improve. “We strive to get better at every practice, and we push ourselves at every meet to finish faster and get new personal records,” Gragnano said. “We are all friends, we are close as a team, and we get along great.”

These achievements by both cross-country teams marks another chapter in Lynbrook’s athletic success. “It’s fun to watch people win a division championship, and to get a new personal record,” Beyrer said. McNally shared that seeing his athletes’ hard work “pay off” is something he always enjoys. 

As the county championship race approaches in November, members of the team will be sure to run with their best foot forward.