Black History Month at LHS

This February marks the 45th annual Black History Month, a 28-day long celebration of the African-American culture and heritage. In 1915, Historian Carter G. Woodson and Minister Jesse E. Moorland founded the Association for the Study of Negro Life and History to display the achievements of black Americans and those of African descent. In 1926, the association created a “Negro History Week”; they designated it to be the second week in February because it marks the birth week of both Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass. 

This week inspired many people across America, and in the 1960s, as the civil rights movement ignited black pride across the country, many colleges decided to expand Black History Week to a month-long observance. Finally, in 1976, President Gerald Ford officially recognized Black History Month, stating Americans should “seize the opportunity to honor the too-often neglected accomplishments of black Americans in every area of endeavor throughout our history.”

This year, celebration and recognition of African-American accomplishment has surfaced to the forefront of media and popular culture, as the Black Lives Matter Movement has become prominent. LHS also formed its very own Student Diversity Council, whose goal is to “educate and have conversations about difficult issues and topics that relate to diversity,” according to the council’s co-founder, junior Madison Sontag-Denoon. 

The council has many events coming up to commemorate Black History Month. Club Secretary Manaka Ogura, a junior, said that first, the council is educating its members about the history of the month and why it is important. Members will share their knowledge, along with each of their unique experiences with race and racism. The club will also include the Black Lives Matter movement in their discussions. 

To celebrate and pay tribute during Black History Month, member Amelia Pollicino, a junior, designed masks and shirts that members can wear in school. Members will also reach out to local activists who can further educate the students of LHS, through a virtual meeting. The club is also creating a podcast, so students can have a platform to “to share their experiences of racial injustice and discrimination,” said Ogura. 

The podcast’s first two episodes will deal with the “segregated experience of Lynbrook POC students and Black History Month,” said Sontag-Denoon. She added, “For Black History Month, we are going to learn about important black figures in our history. We will learn about who has influenced society and who we don’t get to learn or talk much about.”

Celebrations of Black History Month will also take place outside the walls of LHS. According to Newsday, events are being held to celebrate all over Long Island, some of which celebrate the lives of blacks artists, such as a virtual program called “The Blues and Beyond.” This program, held on Feb. 20, followed the lives of black people in America through the evolution of their music. “Coffee with a Curator,” which was held at Patchogue Arts Gallery on Feb. 6, brought together artists from the organization Generation of Color to celebrate black art and diversity. 

Other events will tell the stories of black people throughout American history. On Feb. 1, at Brentwood Library, historian and author Lynda Day told the story of African-Americans on Long Island. In Port Washington, Tanisha Mitchell told the stories of African-Americans through the “spiritual, art, and slave narrative.” 

Many other exciting and informative events were held throughout Long Island, such as the Virtual Black History Month Festival on Feb. 20, in Melville. This event was led by The Association for the Study of African American Life and History and was moderated by Radio Personality Joe Madison. 

The 45th Black History Month was widely celebrated all across Long Island. The LHS Student Diversity Council played its part to educate the Lynbrook community on the power of diversity and to commemorate the incredible achievements of African-Americans throughout our history.