Bern Seiderman Virtual Art Gallery November & December 2020

The LHS National Art Honor Society (NAHS), although unable to organize some of its annual events this year due to Covid-19, is facing obstacles headfirst and transforming them into new opportunities. In November, the Bern Seiderman Gallery was pleased to launch its first online exhibit, “Design a Line,” for the 2020-2021 school year. Students in Karen Goulet’s fashion class used assorted photographs, drawings, and magazine graphics to create a t-shirt clothing line; the surface plans and board formats for the shirts were then displayed in the exhibit. 

Freshman Victoria Martinez, who participated in the project, said, “Designing our own fashion line allowed all of us, as students, to expand our creativity and take a deeper look into the things surrounding us. The most unusual things looked so perfectly unique on the shirts, and I just loved getting this experience.” 

The NAHS invited any student, parent, teacher, and member of the Lynbrook community to participate in the art gallery for the month of December. Participants created charcoal drawings, and the exhibit was titled “2020 Gets Coal.” On Dec. 4, all entrees were due to NAHS Director and Art Teacher Michael Kunz. 

“A few weeks ago,” shared Kunz, “an open call went out to all our local artists to submit charcoal drawings for this month’s show. The response was great!” The exhibit features over 20 charcoal drawings submitted by Lynbrook students in grades 6-12, community members, alumni, and staff. This includes three of Lynbrook’s “Finest Finest” alumni including Lyndsey Ostroff, Sami Ratner, and LHS Art Teacher Vincent Lentini.

“Each work of art has carefully been rendered in compressed and vine charcoal. All of the participants have varying abilities and experience with the medium. The artwork on display also varies in subject matter and includes drawings of still lifes, animals, botanicals, and portraits that all tell 2020 it has been bad,” added Kunz.

One NAHS officer, senior Ambiya Hussian, said she was so excited about the “2020 Get Coal” gallery, and she thought that it was the best possible way for the honor society to display its talents while maintaining Covid-19 safet precautions: “It is both safe and a great way to show off one’s work, which is amazing. What I really liked about the art gallery was that any Lynbrook resident was able to participate; it wasn’t just limited to LHS students.” 

“It brought light to so many lives during this difficult time,” commented freshman Bianca Dublin. “Any time people get a chance to come together for something beautiful like art,” said freshman Raquel Romano, “they get to bond and meet new people who are interested in the same things as them.” 

The NAHS will continue to bring the Lynbrook community together with its talent and innovation. To view any past or present, NAHS galleries, search https://thebernseidermanga.wixsite.com/mysite.