Athlete Spotlight

Athlete+Spotlight

Anthony Campos

Entering his third year as a varsity soccer starter, Senior Anthony Campos hopes to lead his team to its second consecutive year with a playoff appearance. The senior center attacking midfielder brings a mix of speed and finesse to the pitch, while also being a vocal leader. He is not only a vital part of this team’s attack, but also has the ability to contribute defensively, as shown in his starting role as a defensive midfielder in his sophomore season. Campos is a high-level club soccer player that intends to play soccer in college next year and even travel overseas to play in Europe this spring. Heading into the new year, Campos’ successful is going to be vital for the Owls’ to win.

“I have played this game my whole life, and it is something I love, so I cannot imagine my life without it just yet,” said Campos. As a future team captain, he is optimistic about what this year’s team could bring, following its successful season last year and winning its first playoff game in six years. He was beyond proud of the team’s performance last fall. Campos added, “After the ending we had last year, I am excited to get back out there as soon as possible and based on what is being shown in intramurals, we could have a great season.” 

The senior scored two goals and assisted five last year, one of which occurred in the first round of playoffs against Mepham. His assist contributed to the Owls’ shocking playoff upset. “It is always nice to get on the score sheet,” Campos shared, “but that feeling after winning a playoff game is unreal.” This year’s Owls squad features five returning players from just the senior class, so he is optimistic about the team continuing its winning ways in the new season this March. Campos looks forward to getting back out onto the pitch and picking up where he left off.

Heather Horowitz

Senior Heather Horowitz has been an attacking presence for the Girls’ Varsity Soccer team since her freshmen year and does not intend to stop now. She has been a starter for the past four years and has gained a lot of experience that will benefit her team this year. Horowitz scored three goals in her junior campaign and constantly added a sense of urgency and confidence to the Lady Owls’ attack. In the past three years of Horowitz’s high school career, the team has never missed the playoffs and she plans on making it a four-peat this year. 

“I am always excited for the start of soccer season, and I cannot wait to get going this year,” said Horowitz. She is excited about the roster and the senior is certain about the great potential of this year’s team: “Unlike last year, we have a lot of returning contributors from last year, and four of them are entering their fourth year as varsity players.” She intends to lead her team to its fourth straight playoff appearance since 2017. 

Horowitz thrives in win or lose situations: “Playing in the playoffs is a different atmosphere. I have to be locked in for the whole 90 minutes while the pressure is on; luckily I have been able to experience the great feeling of winning [a playoff game].” After winning in the first round of playoffs in 2019, the senior wants her team to do it again. Furthermore, Horowitz is a leader on and off the field. She is a future captain of the girls’ soccer team and was just elected as Senior Class Secretary for the Student Government Association. Although she is used to having a busy schedule with her sports and extra-curriculars, Horowitz has even bigger aspirations for college. While the talented senior could continue her soccer career in college, Horowitz plans to focus on academics and pursue Biomedical Engineering.