Catching Up on Quarantine

This is a very difficult time for everyone. Students have had to transition to online learning, and teachers have had to alter their teaching styles completely in order to adjust to a platform they are completely unfamiliar with. Teachers often say that one of their favorite parts of the job is the contact they have with the students, and with our new forms of learning through Teams and OneNote, they are completely missing out on that contact, and it can be a little lonely at times. In order to see how teachers have been dealing with this change of everyday life, I asked a few of them what they’ve been doing during this time to make these hardships a little more bearable. 

Mary Kirby

Q: What have you missed the most during the quarantine? 

A: HUGS! 

Q: What have you enjoyed the most?

A: Last year, it was really hard for me when my oldest son went to college. I longed for the days of when he and my other two children were always with my husband and me. We would always have a favorite television show that we would watch every night together, choose and cook our meals together, and have a wicked game of Monopoly. We spent days and days and days with each other at our beach club, and I never realized that one day he would grow up. So, these past few months have given me an opportunity to truly savor every single day with my entire family under one roof. I have not slept this good in a long time.

Q: What has this taught you to be grateful for, or have you learned any new lessons in general?

A: I have really always had a hard time saying “No.” Having all of this time with my family made me realize that I need to shift more of my time and energy into my family. Our calendars are always jam packed–jam packed. We needed this time to breathe and take a moment to recognize what is truly most important in life. We watched and read about so many unfortunate stories related to COVID-19. I need to be grateful for the health that I have, the love that I have, and the career that I have chosen. It has helped me to truly examine what is most important in my life.  And this much I know for sure, I am only going to say yes to the things that I truly want to say yes to from this day forward. Life is too precious to do things that you don’t want to do or to do things that you are not passionate about.    

Q: What is the first place you’re going to go or something you’re going to do after quarantine? 

A: LHS! I can’t wait to walk the halls again. The irony is that with all of the work that is going on in the high school it will never be the same school again to us…physically…but it will always be a second home to me. 

Q: Is there anyone you want to see that you haven’t been able to see? 

A: MY STUDENTS! I MISS THEM SO MUCH! I CAN’T WAIT TO SEE  THEM WALK INTO ROOM 314! I actually cry when I envision that day. We will all be so happy. And, aren’t we so lucky to love LHS so much that we can’t wait to get back there!

Q: What have you been doing to keep yourself occupied, and have you learned any cool skills? 

A: Well, I guess I can say I have pretty much honed the skill of distance learning. And with that said…I can say that I absolutely cannot wait to get back into room 314. 

I am still trying to hone the skill of dog walking….I have not mastered that yet with my one-and-a-half-year-old lab puppy.  

The photo I included is of my husband, my daughter Cameron and me. We were having a parade for Mr. Brescia’s wife who is a neonatal nurse at LIJ. We woke up really early and surprised her as she came home from her night shift. I was so excited to participate in this parade for Mrs. Brescia. The essential workers are our true heroes in the truest sense of the word. But, once it was over I was so sad. Even though I love the parades because it brings joy, it is so temporary. I love driving to the parades…but on the way home, I get so sad.  

Danielle Leighley

Q: What have you missed the most during quarantine?

A: I miss seeing my students, my family, and my friends!!!

Q: What have you enjoyed the most? 

A: What I enjoy most is eating dinner every night with my husband and four kids and no interruptions! 

A: I’ve learned never to take anything for granted-especially visiting friends and family…hugging them…and eating in restaurants!!

A: When this is all over, the first thing I want to do is invite all of my friends and family over for a big barbecue in my backyard! 

A: I’ve been cooking so many new and fun meals! And exercising every day! 

Koren Pena

A: I missed being in the classroom and seeing my students. I missed our daily interactions and our conversations. Having that same connection over the computer is impossible.

Q: What have you enjoyed the most?

A: In the beginning, I enjoyed the removal of a busy schedule. All at once, everything was cancelled and we, as a family, got to slow down a bit and refocus on the little things. I enjoyed working at a pace that wasn’t dictated by bells and feeling frantic as I ran from the first-floor copy room to the third and a half floor. But now, after three months, I’m sad that we haven’t  gotten back to “business as usual.”  I miss seeing my children play lacrosse and baseball, and I especially miss the inability to give a proper farewell to my seniors.

A: Gratitude has always been an extremely important part of my life. ​I think I wake up every day feeling grateful–grateful for my health, my children, my husband, my job, my home. Life is so fragile, and so I’m always grateful for each and every day that I get to be here on this earth. 

A: Well, we waited a long time before we physically saw my parents and my in-laws. So, we decided last week that we would surprise them and drop by. They were all so happy, and it was nice to finally see them all. I am very excited to travel again. I love travelling, and I’m eager to start seeing this country again. 

​A: I’ve been able to see most (if not all) of my family through Zoom or video-chat or even in-person, but the ones I really want to see are my seniors. Not getting the opportunity to see them all before they graduate is sad; they are a very special group of young men and women. I miss them dearly. 

A: Monday through Friday, I’m just really busy on the tablet. Remote instruction has its pros and cons, but one thing I’m finding is that it requires an enormous amount of time. I’m not very proficient at typing, so I think it takes me a bit longer than others. LOL. However, when the weather is nice, my family always takes time to get outdoors. We bike, take hikes or long walks, and even play backyard games. 

Dorothy McCarthy: 

A: The sounds of being in the LHS gym!  The love and the laughter with my students and my besties, my colleagues.

Q: What have you enjoyed the most? 

A: Having time to take care of myself.  I meditate, pray, eat well, and exercise more.

A: This experience has shown me that I have everything I need.  I have become more minimalist, and I plan on staying this way.

A: I have a hair cut appointment next week that I’m looking forward to!

A: My PE squad!!!!

A: I walk quite a bit.  When I have moments of unease, I get my sneakers on and walk! 

Olga Zisel:

​A: I’ve missed being around my family, friends, and students.

Q: What have you enjoyed the most?

A: I have enjoyed cooking every day and having time to eat more often as a family, instead of running everyone around to their activities and eating whenever there is time. I have enjoyed spending time with my family overall.  Before quarantine, life was always so rushed. I’d get home and we always had somewhere to be, which meant quality time on weekdays was limited. Now, there’s nowhere to go, so we get tons of time together. We all do our work during the day, and then we have the entire late afternoon and evening to do things or just talk to each other!

A: There are so many things I have learned to be grateful for and that I won’t take for granted ever again. My #1 is missing going to work every day. Nothing can ever replace being in a classroom where students can interact and bounce ideas off each other. Especially now, with everything going on in the world, I would love to be in class with my students so we can discuss current events.  

A: To my sister’s house and to see my niece. She has changed so much, and I’ve missed so many milestones by not being able to see her. Pictures and videos are nice, but not the same!

A: ​I would go see my family. I have seen them from a distance but we haven’t been able to be close. I just want to hug them all.

A: Remote teaching is keeping me very occupied, so I haven’t really learned any new skills other than how to use Flipgrid and WebEx!  

Roseanne Mitchell:

A: Going out to dinner and the freedom to just get up and go. I miss the classroom; WebEx is just not the same.

Q: What have you enjoyed the most?

A: On the weekends, my mom stays with me. Spending this time with her has been a gift. I can never repay my mom for all she has done for me over the years, so cooking her three meals a day is a pretty good start!

A: I’ve been so much nicer and more forgiving to myself during this crazy time. I hope after quarantine, I can bring this kindness to myself with me. 

A: The hair salon…I have a new pet skunk that grew on the crown of my head during quarantine! I named him Grey; he’s been a lovely houseguest, but, truth be told, I won’t miss him when he “dyes.” Haha

A: I’d love to see the graduating seniors. They are such an amazing class. I’ve been with some of these kids since the eighth grade. And, when I started at the high school, the seniors were my first group of freshmen whom I taught. I’ve had nothing but positive experiences with them all.  If there’s any group of kids who can handle this situation with grace, acceptance, and dignity, it’s the Lynbrook Class of 2020.

A: Well, this teaching gig has kept me pretty busy. I’ve been cooking a lot. I’ve been reading too, although, not as much as I’d like. Thank God for my Peloton—it has certainly been my sanity.

Carla Gentile:

Faith Singh-Koobial