The Spotlight: Jonathan Cabral-Martin

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Spotlight: Jonathan Cabral-Martin

Christian Squitieri / Josh Polansky (photo edit)

With a playoff run on their minds, the Lynbrook Owls football team looks to finish its regular season campaign strong and push onward towards the postseason. In order for that to happen, the Owls will need guidance from their senior captains. Jonathan Cabral-Martin, a three-year varsity player, has stepped into that role with honor, integrity, and grit.

After making the team as a sophomore, Cabral-Martin made an impact right away, earning starting duties as a defensive back and running back. In his senior year, Cabral-Martin has already rushed for 300 yards and half a dozen touchdowns, en route to leading the Owls to a 3-3 record, already more wins than last year’s team. “Jon has made a huge impact on the team,” commented senior teammate Connor Reichart. “He gets people excited to play and puts everyone in the right mindset,” added Reichart.

For Cabral-Martin, there is more to the game than just piling up stats. “For me, giving my all is what I do to make my family and the town of Lynbrook proud. But even more than that, I can be a leader by helping my team on and off the field,” said Cabral-Martin.

Cabral-Martin’s work ethic has certainly been noticed by his fellow teammates. “He’s always got the most energy at practice, and he’s lifting the heaviest stuff during weight training,” said senior teammate Anthony Andrews. “Everyday, he’s giving 110% of his effort to make everyone around him a better player,” added Andrews.

As far as the future goes, Cabral-Martin is ready take on whatever life throws at him, but he has not decided on where to play football just yet. “I’ve had offers from schools across all three [NCAA] divisions, but I haven’t made up my mind yet. What I do know is that I want to go somewhere where I can maximize my potential both on and off the field and showcase my talents to NFL scouts.”

For now, Cabral-Martin has his eyes on this season and making it the best it can possibly be. “My goal for the season is to bring an LIC (Long Island Championship, last won by Lynbrook in 2010) back home to the Owls,” added Cabral-Martin.

• The Spotlight: Jonathan Cabral-Martin

Print Edition

Caitlin McElwee-Buchala Leads XC to a Strong Season

• The Spotlight: Jonathan Cabral-Martin

Print Edition

Lynbrook Soccer Players Take Home Awards

• The Spotlight: Jonathan Cabral-Martin

Features

Farewell, Nick!

• The Spotlight: Jonathan Cabral-Martin

News

A Complicated Apartment Complex Proposal

• The Spotlight: Jonathan Cabral-Martin

News

Reduce, Reuse, and Refuse: Marine Club’s Attempt at Making LHS Eco-Friendlier

• The Spotlight: Jonathan Cabral-Martin

News

Voting: Convenience Is a Want, But Safety Is a Need

• The Spotlight: Jonathan Cabral-Martin

Arts & Entertainment

NAHS Spreads Holiday Spirit

• The Spotlight: Jonathan Cabral-Martin

Features

The Gift of Gender Stereotyping

• Features

What Nationalism Means for the Nation

• News

Home Is Not Where the Birth Is

The Spotlight: Jonathan Cabral-Martin