Lynbrook’s Night of the Pumpkins Is a Spooky Success

The gymnasium was lit up with over 175 individually-carved pumpkins this past Saturday, Oct. 27 for the Night of the Pumpkins. This event takes place every year and is organized by Art Teacher and National Art Honor Society (NAHS) Adviser Mike Kunz along with students in NAHS.

The Night of the Pumpkins is an event geared for children, featuring pumpkins carved by NAHS members. Each pumpkin features a unique and intricate design that students often spend hours carving the evening prior. This year, completed pumpkins were displayed in the gymnasium as opposed to the field adjacent to the building due to weather constraints. Various Halloween-themed activities for guests to enjoy were also featured.

All  carved pumpkins were for sale, and profits were sent to the Community Chest South Shore, an organization that helps families in need across Long Island. Each guest was required to pay a $5.00 fee upon entry, which was also sent to the charity. The event raised just over $5,000. Kunz confirmed that this year featured the largest number of pumpkins the event has ever had.

Students who are a part of the NAHS were presebt throughout the event. Students had different jobs, such as painting faces, selling snacks, and organizing games and crafts. “It’s really an event for kids. All the kids are adorable, and I painted a kid’s whole face as a pumpkin. It’s generally a really good and fun event,” said Katja Rabus, a senior and member of NAHS.

As much as kids love the event, parents also find fun in it too. Parents and adults came alone or with their children, and they were not disappointed. “They did a great job. It’s a wonderful representation of artwork, and it’s great that [proceeds are] going to charity. I love how they put on a great presentation despite the weather,” Richard Mansfield, a parent in the district, commented.

Overall, even though the event had to take place indoors, it was a true success. Plenty of money was raised for charity, and a spooky, fun night was had by many.