Filed under Showcase, Sports

Girls’ Volleyball Wins Dig Pink Game

Dylan Burfield

Dylan Burfield

The girls’ varsity volleyball team earned a much-needed win over Floral Park in three sets on Oct. 11. The win snapped Lynbrook’s streak of four straight losses and was the team’s second win over Floral Park this season.

The Owls opened strong, with a dominating 25-11 first set. Despite a strong fight from Floral Park in the second, the Owls came out on top 26-24.  They finished off the game with a 25-16 victory in the third set.

Junior Kate Foley led the way with 7 kills and 14 digs. Junior Ami Carey added on 7 more kills, including 4 aces, along with 4 assists.

The win may have ignited a spark; they won the Carle Place Varsity Volleyball Tournament the following weekend.

“I think our last win was a turning point, and since then, we’ve won a tournament. We are hoping to win our last two league games before entering the playoffs,” said Foley.  The Owls improved to a 4-6 record with two games remaining in the regular season.

The Oct. 11 game was Lynbrook’s annual Dig Pink volleyball game, which takes place every October.  The team warmed up in pink shirts and placed posters around the gym. A pre-game bake sale was held, where t-shirts and tickets were also sold, with all the proceeds going to the Side-Out Foundation, a non-profit organization that raises awareness for breast cancer and funds the treatment of breast cancer through volleyball-related events. The team’s goal was to raise $700.

The captains and players put a lot of effort into setting up for the event. “I started out by ordering all of the Dig Pink shirts for the JV and varsity teams, which has already raised over $100,” said senior Tori Strife. “Next, I organized the bake sale with help from my coach and co-captains. We made posters and assigned everyone on the team a different food to bring. We set up an announcement for the morning before, and it ended up being very successful,” added Strife.

Girls’ volleyball continues to do the most by dominating on the court as well as helping in the fight against breast cancer.

• Girls’ Volleyball Wins Dig Pink Game

News

The FDA Tightens its Grip on JUUL

• Girls’ Volleyball Wins Dig Pink Game

News

Lynbrook’s Night of the Pumpkins Is a Spooky Success

• Girls’ Volleyball Wins Dig Pink Game

Features

Meet Ameer Benno: A Candidate for Congress

• Girls’ Volleyball Wins Dig Pink Game

Sports

U.S. Women’s Soccer Qualifies in Thrilling Fashion

• Girls’ Volleyball Wins Dig Pink Game

Opinions

The Second Coming

• Girls’ Volleyball Wins Dig Pink Game

Opinions

KavaNOT

• Girls’ Volleyball Wins Dig Pink Game

Arts & Entertainment

Ariana Grande & Pete Davidson Split

• Girls’ Volleyball Wins Dig Pink Game

Sports

One Last Game for David Wright

• Girls’ Volleyball Wins Dig Pink Game

Arts & Entertainment

Crazy for Maniac

• Girls’ Volleyball Wins Dig Pink Game

Sports

Owls Are Ready to Fly

Girls’ Volleyball Wins Dig Pink Game