The Spotlight: Gabby Vogt Leaves Mark on Teammates, Coaches

With the school year coming to a close, spring sports seasons are pretty much complete. And for seniors, this means an end to their high school sports careers. For senior Gabby Vogt, this is a bittersweet moment, as she is sad to leave her teammates, but she is eager to tackle the challenges that lay ahead.

Vogt has been a standout on the track and field and cross country teams since her freshman year. After earning All-County honors in cross country in ninth grade, Vogt was inspired to become the best. Four years later, she has shown everyone how great she truly is. She earned All-County again earlier this year for cross country, as well as for her efforts in the steeplechase as a junior. This, in addition to her countless other awards and accolades, led her to continue her running career next year at SUNY Cortland.

Although she did not plan to be a runner when she was younger, Vogt now feels that running is part of who she is. Her coaches and teammates have made a significant impact on her life as a runner and, more importantly, as a person: “When I first started running in seventh grade, I never saw myself as a distance runner until my coach told me to try it out, so I did. Having my teammates and coaches by my side, cheering me on and making me better, inspired me to succeed. Without them, I wouldn’t have been able to enjoy running or want to pursue it in college,” she said. “Gabby is an incredible runner and an even more incredible teammate,” commented Vogt’s coach and North Middle School Teacher Joe Beyrer.”

Despite her record-setting performances for Lynbrook, Vogt best remembers the moments shared and bonds made with teammates, not just the running. “My favorite memories have to be going to the Penn Relays freshman and senior year, breaking Lynbrook history with my fellow teammates, joining the Top-15 Brown Invitational Board, the one time the team had a huge water balloon fight, and all the friendships I have made since freshman year,” Vogt reminisced. Vogt’s teammates agree that Vogt’s most important quality on the team is that of friend: “Gabby has been one of my closest friends for as long as I can remember. “She is so motivating and caring for all of her friends and teammates,” commented senior Allie Kunstler. “Having Gabby as a captain this year showed how much of a leader she really is,” said junior Sophia Miele. “Having Gabby’s positive attitude throughout the season made our team very successful. Although she is nervous to compete at the next level, Vogt is excited to create new relationships as she continues doing what she loves: “I’m most nervous about the training and competitions. It’s a change I’ll have to get used to, but I am more than excited to!”