9/11: The 16th Anniversary

Madelyn Colonna

A patriotic depiction of the Twin Towers

Hundreds of people gathered in lower Manhattan at the site where the Twin Towers once stood to honor those who lost their lives in the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. This year marked the 16th anniversary of the attacks on the Twin Towers and the Pentagon in Washington D.C, as well as the plane crash in Pennsylvania. The devastating events killed over 3,000 people and is remembered as one of, if not the most infamous day in the country’s history.

The annual ceremony took place at Ground Zero, where a moment of silence was held and a reading of the victims’ names in a solemn remembrance. The night of the anniversary, there were two beams of light where the towers stood that could be seen from miles away.  Sophomore, Wyatt Priwall, thinks the ceremony is a great way to honor those who died that day, “I think it is a really nice thing to do for the families that have lost their loved ones on that day.” During the ceremony at Ground Zero, it was announced that a memorial was made for those who died of 9-11-related diseases. The memorial in Lito Beach will add names of people who have died and people who die in the future due to 9-11 related diseases.

Vice President Mike Pence was at the site where Flight 93 came down in a field in Pennsylvania. Pence was serving his first term in Congress on the day of the attacks and was at the Capitol Building where the flight was believed to be heading before passengers stormed the cockpit of the plane to take control of the plane from the hijackers. Pence was brought to tears when talking about the attacks, “It was the longest 12 minutes of my life, then it turned to 13 minutes, then 14. And then we were informed that the plane had gone down in a field in Pennsylvania.” Pence also added, “I will always believe that I, and many others in our nation’s capital, were able to get home that day to hug our families because of the courage and selflessness of the heroes of Flight 93.” (washingtonexaminer.com)

In Washington, D.C., at the site of the attack on the Pentagon, President Trump took to the podium and spoke about the attacks. “Each family here today represents a son or daughter, a sister or brother, a mother or father, who was taken from you on that terrible, terrible day.  But no force on Earth can ever take away your memories, diminish your love, or break your will to endure and carry on and go forward.” Trump also sent a message to terrorists in his speech. “The terrorists who attacked us thought they could incite fear and weaken our spirit.  But America cannot be intimidated, and those who try will soon join the long list of vanquished enemies who dared to test our mettle” (washingtonpost.com)

Many people remember vividly what life was like on this tragic day. Social Studies Teacher Olga Zisel remembers how she learned about the attacks when it happened, recalling, “I was working at the high school. I was walking to hall duty and one of my colleagues told me about it. There was still question if it was an accident or a terrorist attack. Then I went back to the department office when the next plane hit, so we knew it was terrorism.”  Social Studies Teacher Koran Pena also remembers the day of the attacks, “A beautiful morning, clear September day. I walked down to the AV office, and the women who worked in there had the TV on. When I walked in to the room, I saw a picture of the tower with a hole in it. We didn’t know what happened, so I just went up to teach. During a lunch period, a student told me the Twin Towers fell. I couldn’t believe it. It didn’t seem possible. Many students were concerned. Certainly, a day not to forget.” That day is definitely one many will never forget. Americans will remember where they were when the attacks were happening, and even those who were not alive at the time will always remember the stories of what it was like on September 11th, 2001. Many people will never forget all the people who were in the towers, the pentagon, and those who were on the plane that crashed in a Pennsylvania field. And finally, many will always remember the first responders who lost their lives helping people escape the Towers and the Pentagon. And for this reason, every year people gather to remember those who lost their lives on the tragic day, a day no one will ever forget.