An Ode to Horizon

Photo courtesy of Alexis Raynor

If you have ever met me, you will soon realize that I am extremely soft-spoken and shy. Speaking in front of a crowd will always be one of my biggest fears along with opening up to the world and allowing my true persona to shine through.

Entering high school as a timid freshman and experiencing a worldwide phenomenon, it was extremely difficult to acclimate to the new environment of LHS. I knew I had to join clubs, but had no idea how; I felt so disconnected from what was going on within the school because I was only present half of the time. It was not until I heard my ninth-grade English teacher, Mrs. Sanders, speak about Horizon that I had any interest in joining anything. I figured I would give it a shot; it’s not a permanent commitment, right?

Little did I know, it would be a permanent commitment, and Horizon would shape my high school career.

Horizon has taught me the importance of hard work. I have become disciplined, working to meet deadlines and produce work that is up to par, and have done a full 360 as a writer. I cringe reading some of my first articles, but recognizing the improvements I have made is an extremely satisfying feeling.

I have had my eyes on the prize since I joined. I knew I wanted to be editor-in-chief, and I would not stop at anything until I was appointed to this position. Finally holding this position my senior year was one of the best feelings; hard work really does pay off, and I was so excited to revel in something I had wanted for four years.

Being editor-in-chief has taught me to command a student body and has allowed me to utilize my leadership skills. I have unleashed my creativity and created works of art. Finally getting to see what I worked tirelessly to produce on distribution days was always my favorite. Even though much of the school does not pay any mind to the newspaper, it matters a whole lot to me. I have kept every edition of Horizon since I joined the staff, and finally bringing home editions that I produced was really a full-circle moment. I feel like I am just getting started, I improve my writing and graphic design skills with each edition, and I am eager to produce five more, but now, it’s over.

I am preparing to move on and begin one of the scariest chapters in my life: college. This year has brought lots of ups and downs, but the consistency was in my position on Horizon. I feel as though Horizon has given me my voice. Writing is an outlet for me as I can express my opinion and use my voice without getting in front of a crowd of people. It took a few years, but I feel that I have slowly opened up to the world and have gained confidence within myself and within my writing abilities. I am eager to begin this new chapter and hope to continue to write for my school newspaper at UCONN. 

I couldn’t have done it all without my fabulous partner Olivia. The late nights, difficult decisions, and dealing with bumps in the road were all worth it, and I am really going to miss collaborating with each other. And to Mrs. Sanders, I can’t thank you enough for introducing me to this amazing club and for being such an amazing mentor. Thank you for all the advice and for everything you have done for me. 

I am so thankful for my staff. Those whom I asked to write last-minute articles, make immense edits, track down writers for missing articles, and even those who showed up for one meeting, I thank you. 

Friday afternoons will always be for Horizon. It has been my pleasure serving as your editor-in-chief. I cannot wait to see what the future holds. 

Bye for now!

Alexis