LHS Makes History with First-ever Business and Marketing Honor Society

The new inductees pose with their certificates after the ceremony. Photo Courtesy of Lynbrook Schools page.

LHS inducted 37 students into its first-ever chapter of the New York State Business and Marketing Honor Society (BHS) on Tuesday, May 7. This selected group of juniors and seniors was honored for academic excellence in all business classes and outstanding service and character.

Throughout the ceremony, all three qualities were honored with a designated candle for each one. One at a time, these candles were lit, showcasing the criteria a student must fit in order to become a member of BHS.

In total, LHS offers six business classes: Advertising and Marketing, Accounting 1, Accounting 2, Business Law 1 (a Business Law 2 addition is underway), Financial Markets, and Virtual Enterprise; the last is only able to be taken as a junior or senior. A student must achieve a 90 average or higher in these classes to be eligible for this honor.

The business classes have a lot to offer as they provide many skills that students will find useful later in their careers. “I never saw myself into anything regarding business and college until I took accounting in my sophomore year,” said junior Jessica Strohofer. “After I fell in love with it, I took accounting and Virtual Enterprise this year, and they helped me find my love for business and make me want to pursue it as my dream. All the classes are amazing, and they teach you so many real-life experiences and really expose you to the world of business.”

Dr. Benedict Tieniber, who teaches many of the business classes, was very proud of what his students have accomplished over the past year: “Today was a big day for our newly inducted member. We’re excited to see the Business and Marketing Honor Society get off the ground and prosper for years to come.”

The ceremony also introduced the new board for the 2024-2025 term. Junior Jessica Strohofer will serve as president, Sydney Coble as vice president, Zia Baluyot as secretary, Gabriel Lewner as treasurer, and Cooper Schorr overseeing public relations. All students chosen for this honor were brought up on to the auditorium stage one by one to receive their certificate.

Strohofer shared, “It was an honor to have been chosen as president. I know we will set records for the future years, and I cannot wait to see all we will accomplish.”

The new board members were unanimously ecstatic to be given this opportunity. “I’m incredibly grateful to be a part of the first-ever Business and Marketing Honor Society at LHS,” Baluyot said. “I am beyond excited to be able to contribute to such an intelligent group of people. I cannot wait to see what the future holds for us!”

All the students that were inducted in the inaugural year were excited to be a part of the first group ever in LHS history. “Being part of the first-ever Business Honor Society at Lynbrook is an honor, and I’m eager to see what we’ll achieve in our founding year!” Cate Jennings said excitedly.

Principal Matthew Sarosy was very pleased to see this new opportunity for students to dive into and explore. “Any time that we have an additional opportunity for our students to try and stand out or try and get out of their comfort zone and put them out there is a great opportunity, and we will continue to look for more of those,” he remarked. Principal Sarosy also spoke at the ceremony, conveying how impressed he was to see the overall growth of business at LHS.