Athlete Spotlight: The Hogs

Sean Strohofer

When most people hear “track and field” as a sport, it is often only associated with running. Despite being constantly overlooked, the field events are equally important as those that take place on the track. One of the most popular field events is the shot put, where competitors throw a heavy metal ball as far as they can. Coming off a successful winter season, Lynbrook’s shot-put team was led by three of the top throwers in the county. Known as “The Hogs,” seniors Samuel Yu, Tim Sexton, and Clyde Solide elevated themselves, each other, and the team to new heights.

The 2023-24 winter season was nothing short of a rollercoaster for “The Hogs.” The season started with one goal in mind for the team: County Championships. “I knew I needed to put in a lot of hard work,” said Yu. “Hit the weight room hard, work on my technique,” he added. Along with overcoming the formidable competition from across Nassau County in the shot-put event, Solide also had an additional hurdle to overcome: “I’m mainly a discus thrower during the spring, so I had to work extra hard to get used to the shot.”

Just like any rollercoaster, however, this season was not without its low points for these Hogs. Solide says that adjusting from the disc to the shot was the hardest part of the season. “I really struggled in those first couple of meets,” said Solide. “It took me a while to really get the form down,” he added. Despite high expectations and high performances from his teammates, Yu finished seventh overall in the Conference Championships, missing the All-Conference honor. Sexton, who had been dealing with a nagging elbow injury towards the tail end of the season, did not place in County Championships. According to the group, however, the way one bounces back from trials and tribulations defines what it means to be a Hog. Yu went from one of his worst performances of the year in the conference championships, to finishing the season with a personal record in counties. Solide’s hard work and adjustment paid off, as he received All-Conference and finished the season third in the county class. And while Sexton may not have had the chance to fully redeem himself this winter season, he assured his teammates and coaches he plans to have the best season of his high school career this spring. When asked how he planned to bounce back, his answer was simple, but powerful: “[I’m going to] just keep training. Keep practicing. Keep getting stronger, and just stay prepared.” Yu corroborated his friend’s confidence, saying the bar is set even higher this spring: “We’re aiming for state qualifiers. Nothing less.”

Field events coach Al Marazzo was not short on words when it came to how much growth he had seen throughout the season: “I have seen an obvious growth in each of the Hogs. There’s obviously a lot of work to do, but I’ve seen great improvement in mechanics and technique. They are more consistent with throwing with correct form than in the beginning of the season. I believe as the spring season gets into full swing and the weather gets warmer, they will see an increase in distance.”

While the Hogs may all look large and intimidating, they are often viewed as the “big brothers” of Lynbrook Track and Field. Despite their massive stature and boorish nickname, Coach Marazzo says that the Hogs are “all amazing young men. Hard-working, dedicated, and just great people. They all want to work and push each other to be better.” This mentality was clearly prevalent when Sexton was asked about his favorite moment of the season: “For Clyde to not even really be throwing shot put at the beginning of the season…to not only going to counties, but earning All-County, it’s really a beautiful thing.”

With the spring season fast approaching, and all three Hogs in their senior years, Solide,  Sexton, and Yu all aim to finish their high school careers on high notes. Solide, however, is the only Hog who plans to continue throwing at the collegiate level. He has committed to Hartwick College for football and track and field.