Gymnastics Team Kicks off First Season

Miranda Mangru
Photos Courtesy of @lbkvarsitygymnastics Instagram Page

The first-ever Lynbrook gymnastics team is proud to have kicked off its first official practice this past Monday in the All-American gym in Lynbrook. The new winter sport team is varsity-only and has competitions all throughout the winter season. Freshman Hana DeSilva expressed, “I am excited to learn new skills and to be a part of the first gymnastics team for Lynbrook.”

The idea of the team arose when sophomore Gianna Marafioti and freshman Emma Murphy both expressed interest in bringing a gymnastics team to LHS. Both girls are highly involved and interested in gymnastics through their own outside teams and were looking to involve their peers with the sport they both love. Marafioti commented, “The season is going good so far; we have 15 girls on the team, and we have our first competition this Thursday at Garden City.”

Students of all ages can participate in the new varsity sport, as the team has athletes from both LHS and North and South Middle Schools.

The team is highly focused on the competitions ahead, and the members take their routines very seriously. Even so, Coaches Dana Corsar and Alyssa Manthos do allow the team to have fun with the sport they all love. Freshman Mikayla Torres remarked, “It’s really fun, and we have a lot of freedom, but we also get really serious when it comes to things for our meets.”

Overall, the team is extremely excited to kick off its season with a bang at competitions and have fun along the way. Marafioti said, “I am super excited to see everyone do amazing at competitions and have a lot of fun with the new team.”

Most recently, the Lady Owls started the season off strong, winning their first meet at Garden City with a grand score of 143.95-139.3.