Stanley “Stans”: The Hype Surrounding the World-renowned Metal Bottle

Katy Gottlieb

Ranging in a variety of vivid colors, keeping water ice cold, and even having convenient handles, Stanley cups are getting significant hype. Stanley “stans” are officially going nuts for the revolutionary bottles that have recently stormed social media.

Primarily, there has been a lot of hype around Stanleys due to their vibrant assortment of colors that includes every inch of the rainbow. Sophomore Leah Pisano expressed, “I love my pink Stanley; it’s my favorite. I’m glad they had it in one of my favorite colors!” Freshman Lily Dimaio explained how she adores her pastel pink-and-blue forty-ounce tumbler. From “flamingo” to “pool” to “alpine,” these chic colors have without a doubt been a major factor in persuading consumers to buy from the aesthetic drinkware brand.

On top of their color variety, Stanleys come in a wide range of shapes and sizes but are most commonly known for their forty-ounce tumblers. Although not widely known, the drinkware brand has been making products since 1913 and just recently gained recognition for its Quencher H20 Flowstate tumbler on social media, according to Tasting Table’s website (TastingTable.com), but the collection does come in smaller sizes that are better when one is on-the-go. Pisano’s favorite is the forty-ounce tumbler, even though it is a little bulky and annoying to carry around sometimes.

In addition, Stanleys have gone viral due to their ability to stay cold for long periods of time. Sophomore Cameron Kirby recalled how she read in the news that “someone’s car caught on fire with their Stanley in the car, and there was still ice in the cup the next day.” Her favorite part of the water bottle is that the ice never melts.

Fans have also expressed their love and support for the Stanley x Starbucks collaboration. Pisano related, “The collab with Starbucks is so cool; people are going crazy over it.” She added, “I saw videos of Starbucks opening for the day and people swarming in to buy the cups.”  Kirby commented how the collaboration was “very smart and brought more people’s attention to Stanley cups, since fans already love Starbucks so much and can now get the best of both worlds.” Dimaio further added, “I think the collab with Starbucks was a smart marketing move but caused a lot of excess drama since the selection was so limited and the demand is so high.” 

People have also been seen camping outside of Target stores overnight, waiting for the next restock of the cups, proving they will do whatever it takes to get their hands on one of these tumblers. One fan, a 23-year-old woman from Sacramento, even went as far as stealing 65 Stanley cups—over $2,500-worth of products—from a retail store in northern California and was later arrested for grand theft, according to Kron 4 News’s website (Kron4.com). 

So why exactly is there so much hype when it comes to Stanleys? Pisano explaind: “Stanleys are so popular because influencers have shown them online and on social media as the next hot thing to buy, and lots of people are following the trend. They are also good-quality, which is a big plus.” Dimaio agreed and said, “I think Stanleys are very popular because of the wide range of colors and options, but it is also a very functional water bottle that keeps water cold throughout the day.” 

Pisano also felt that “Stanleys are great quality, but Hydro Flasks and other types of water bottles are just as good; it just depends on the current trends and if you are a tumbler kind of person and like the handle.” On the other hand, Dimaio likes Stanleys better than any other water bottle: “My water stays cold and the ice frozen for longer durations of time as compared to other water bottles.” Amidst the hype, Dimaio purchased a number of the aesthetically-pleasing Stanleys and currently has a collection of four. Kirby concluded that Stanleys “would be a perfect gift for anyone looking to stay hydrated, especially when it starts to get warm outside during the summer months.”

Ultimately, Stanley “stans” around the world are coming together in support of this trendy water bottle.