Juniors Steal the Win at Annual Powder Puff Game

Juniors (top) and Seniors (bottom) pose for a photo before the big game. Courtesy of @lhskeyclubb Instagram page.

Lynbrook was ready to kick off November with the annual Powder Puff game. Junior and senior girls battled in a friendly flag football game raising money for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation on Saturday, November 4 at 4:00 pm. Unlike past years, the game was played at Marion Street. Senior Dea Pulatani recalled, “For this year’s Powder Puff, everything was 100% back to normal since Covid. Last year, we weren’t able to host the event in its normal location at Marion Street, and being able to do so made this year just so much more special.” 

The junior captains consisted of Peyton Leighley, Brooke Mazzei, Gabby Meszaros, Gaby Ramirez, Katy Gottlieb, and Kelsey Roth. The senior captains included Jesse Bodian, Mackenzie Casey, Amelia Doyle, Katherine Ferng, Elizabeth Ortiz, and Dea Pulatani.

Snapshots from moments throughout the game. Courtesy of @lhskeyclubb Instagram page.

The game was played in 30-minute halves with juniors in the lead at halftime. Ramirez threw the ball all the way down the field to Mazzei, who scored. Meszaros scored a touchdown, which was followed by Ramirez scoring two

herself. Penelope Yaker, Jillian Festa, and Gottlieb had a few tackles each, contributing to the juniors’ victory. The junior coaches were Brian Gilmartin, Bennett Votano, Emmett O’Grady, and Cooper Schorr. Ramirez shared, “All the coaches were very supportive and happy for us. They ran down the whole field whenever someone would score. It was so much fun practicing the month prior and working on plays. It really united the grade.” For the seniors, Mikayla D’Ambrosio scored, and they were coached by Ramon Calderon, Michael Hendrickson, Craig Leszczak, and Maxson Weiss.

Assistant Principals Sal Brescia and Bryan Garcia, Spanish teacher Jeny Sanchez, guidance counselor Andrew Rosenberg, and various other teachers were in attendance, including physical education teacher Brian Donaldson and substitute teacher Jessica Graepel, who both refereed the game.“It was great seeing everyone work together,” Ramirez said. 

In the end, the juniors won, 30-23. There was a sense of community and support for all who participated, whether they played in the game, coached, watched from the bleachers, volunteered, or supervised.

Ultimately, according to Pulatani, “We were able to raise $2,000 to send to Susan G. Komen.” Prior to the event, jerseys, socks, and other breast cancer merchandise from the Hewlett House were sold. All proceeds made from the merchandise and the $10 entry fee went towards breast cancer research. Pulatani remarked, “Both grades played phenomenally, and I am so excited to attend next year as an alumni.” Lynbrook fans and alumni look forward to watching the new junior and senior girls take part in next year’s Powder Puff game.