Flare vs. Straight Leggings

Which is better?
Kristina Stelmashchuk
Which is better?

What should I wear today? The question goes through everyone’s head, whether planning an outfit the night before or getting ready for school in the morning. Everyone has his or her own opinion when it comes to today’s fashion trends; however, there has been a prominent debate recently between straight and flare leggings and which type is more popular. 

Some may wonder, Is there really much of a difference between the two? The answer is YES!—major differences. For example, the style of straight leggings allows for a fit that is tighter around the ankle than its flare-legging competitor. Straight leggings have been extremely popular ever since they made their debut in the early ’80s. Since then, this type of pants has been a norm in society’s modern fashion.

On the other hand, flare leggings (also known as yoga pants or bell-bottoms) have been a trendy alternative. In the 1970s, people started embracing the bell-bottomed trousers look, especially when popularized by celebrities of that time, such as Sonny and Cher. Over the years, this legging style faded but then made its comeback in the early 2000s. Because the ankle fit is looser, people consider these to be more comfortable and wear them for yoga (hence the name “yoga pants”), dance, and a variety of sports. Both fashion candidates give different looks when paired with an outfit.

Senior Sabrina Weiss shared what style of leggings she likes to wear: “Preferably, I would choose the style of regular (straight) leggings since I wear them more often…but flare leggings can be very fashionable depending on the specific type of outfit.” Senior Gianna Taverna agreed and said, “Flare leggings are my go-to because they create a casual, yet fashionable kind of look.” I, too, agree that flare leggings, though worn less, are more favorable due to the chic sense of style they can bring to any outfit. Because of their more fashionable look, flare leggings are the ideal pants. Even so, either style can be used in either a dressed-up or dressed-down appearance.