Winter Break Should Be Longer

Read+on+about+why+holiday+break+should+be+elongated.+
Madison Watson
Read on about why holiday break should be elongated.

Students are being suffocated by the limited amount of time that is allotted for holiday break. Holiday recess takes place late December-early January and lasts a measly eight days for many New York public school students this year. The average amount of time designated throughout the rest of the world for a typical holiday recess is two weeks; therefore, students in New York are left with what seems like half the break they should be entitled to. This effectively leaves students no true opportunity for the relaxation or enjoyment that they long for and deserve.

While school is in session, students spend an average of eight hours in the school building each day, only then to participate in extracurriculars and rush home to complete their homework. This busy schedule leaves virtually no room for students to spend time with their family and friends during the weekdays. Additionally, many academically-oriented students feel pressured to also have a “productive weekend” and partake in activities that will likely make them stand out to college admissions officers. Unfortunately, this jam-packed schedule often makes quality time with loved ones and oneself an afterthought. This is truly distressing since seniors will soon be heading off to college, leaving their families and friends behind. Senior Lucia Palumbo agreed: “During winter break, I like to shop with my friends for Christmas presents for my family. I like to go to the mall with friends and chill at home. There’s never enough time to do this. I wish I had more time to relax with friends.” 

Furthermore, such hectic schedules are by no means healthy. The pressure students feel to be “perfect” so that they can get into the “perfect” college is insane and regularly causes them to sacrifice their health. Walking around the halls, it is nearly impossible to not overhear students complaining of tiredness, saying that they got no sleep the night before because they were too busy completing schoolwork. Lack of rest is concerning by itself, but it is doubly concerning when one realizes how common it is, especially when it is well-known that sleep deficiency can be detrimental to a person’s health. The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute’s website (nih.gov) reports that “sleep deficiency is linked to many chronic health problems, including heart disease, kidney disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, stroke, obesity, and depression.” Furthermore, sleep deprivation does not solely affect physical health. According to a 2020 study in JAMA Pediatrics (jamanetwork.com), sleep deprivation can negatively affect academic performance, school attendance, driving safety, and mental health. This research exemplifies exactly why students need to have breaks; without them, students will suffer. Additional break time will only give students a better chance to recuperate and be able to enjoy themselves. Math teacher Drew Bidart agreed, explaining how “[a]ny time that is given to people to take a moment and breathe is beneficial. Everyone deserves that opportunity. We all get that moment to recharge and start the new year on the right foot.”

Even with the logical benefits of a longer holiday recess, some will still disagree and argue that a longer recess will mean less learning and effectively cheapen students’ education; however, this argument fails to realize that taking time to “chill” is not simply about lounging around and doing nothing. Devoting a set time for a break is invaluable, as it allows students to decompress and grants them respite from their demanding schedule, effectively warding off burnout that would inevitably plague a student if he worked endlessly. With more break time, a student will not simply rest and recuperate for a short bit before getting thrusted into his schedule once more; instead, he will have the time to fully recharge and even get the chance to regain his appetite for learning. Students might even be motivated to utilize this time to self-study a subject they have been interested in but have not had the opportunity to explore. This is exactly what junior Aurore Baptiste plans to do with her holiday recess. Baptiste explained that she plans to spend time with her family: “For example, I will go [shopping] with my aunt, or I would go to the movies with my cousins.” Nonetheless, she plans to balance her vacation by studying for her AP courses to “try to get ahead of most things” and use her time wisely. 

In summation, the current breaks are appreciated and always will be; however, that does not change the fact that the allotted recess could be programmed in a way that is far more beneficial to everyone involved. This break must be longer.