“Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat Takes the Stage!”

Sean Strohofer
Jacob’s eleven other sons regale the audience.

In a breathtaking showcase of talent and theatrical prowess, LHS students transported audiences into the enchanting world of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat during the annual school musical. This dazzling musical has captivated audiences since its Broadway debut in 1982, featuring music by Andrew Lloyd Webber and lyrics by Tim Rice. However, its roots go back even further, as it originally opened in the West End in 1973. This timeless musical takes inspiration from the biblical tale of Joseph, found in the Book of Genesis, and weaves a vibrant and dream-filled narrative that has become a classic in musical theater history. LHS’s performance was held from Friday, Nov. 17 to Sunday, Nov. 19 in the John F. Branciforte Auditorium. The production showcased a multitude of musical genres, spanning from country-western to calypso, bubble-gum pop, and rock and roll.

The story is told by narrators (Kerry Cullen and Alexa Rutigliano) tasked with retelling the infamous tale of Joseph (Jack Ceglie) and his “dreamcoat.’’ The first act introduces Jacob (Joaquin Vergara), Joseph’s father, along with his eleven other sons: Reuben (Zachary Buxton), Simeon (Gael Rivera), Levi (Jackson Reiser), Judah (Sophia Schoen), Dan (Nicholas Sferrazza), Naphtali Lara Vardar), Gad (Conor Buxton), Asher (Gianna Longo), Issachar (Ryan Dugger), Zebulun (Liam Mylan), and Benjamin (Molly Schutzman). Joseph is Jacob’s favorite, for he is blessed with vivid dreams that foretell the future. The envy of his brothers, driven by the symbolic multicolored coat bestowed upon him, sets the stage for a compelling tale of sibling rivalry. Joseph’s dreams further fuel the brothers’ resentment, leading them to rip up Joseph’s coat of many colors and sell him as a slave.

In Egypt, Joseph becomes a slave under the Egyptian elite Potiphar (Zachary Buxton). Potiphar’s wife (Gabriella Ramsammy) makes advances toward Joseph. Potiphar, outraged, throws Joseph in jail. However, Joseph’s spirits rise as he helps two prisoners, the Baker and the Butler, by interpreting their dreams. Upon hearing this, the rest of the prisoners surround Joseph and encourage him to go after his dreams, culminating in the stunning song, “Go, Go, Go, Joseph.”

Joseph flashes his colorful coat!

Now freed, the Butler tells the Elvis-like Pharaoh of Joseph and his extraordinary skills; Joseph is summoned to interpret the Pharaoh’s dreams. The astonished Pharaoh then puts Joseph in charge of carrying out the preparations needed to endure the impending famine, and Joseph becomes the most powerful man in Egypt, second to the Pharaoh.

Back home, the famine has caught up with Joseph’s brothers, who express regret at selling him and deceiving their father. Heroic Joseph arrives, providing sacksful of food, but plants a golden cup in the sack of his youngest brother, Benjamin. When the brothers try to leave, Joseph stops them, asking about the “stolen cup.” Each brother empties his sack, and it is revealed that Benjamin has the cup. Joseph then accuses Benjamin of robbery. The other brothers beg mercy for Benjamin. Seeing their selflessness and penitence, Joseph reveals himself. Joseph and his father happily reunite and the colored dreamcoat is donned once more.

Behind the scenes, the dedicated production team, cast, and crew invested months of tireless effort to bring this spectacular production to life. With a musical theater journey spanning more than five years, Ceglie, a junior playing the title character, shared, “Theatre has always been a big part of my life, if not, the biggest. My favorite part is getting to work with my friends on the [comical] singing and dancing on stage.” The performance was also enriched with a variety of lively songs. Ceglie described, “I really enjoy getting to [portray] a character and [see the other characters’] reactions to what takes place in the story, specifically during the song ‘Close Every Door,’ which for Joseph is arguably his most vulnerable moment.” Senior David Barrere added, “My favorite part of performing in Joseph is ‘Go, Go, Go, Joseph’ because [I perform in that] song and it’s very fun.”

Beyond the entertainment, the musical delves into themes of family, jealousy, mistakes, and forgiveness. Junior Gael Rivera, who performed in the last two school musicals, added, “My favorite part of performing in the musical is immersing myself in the characters and the show’s [message]. [I also enjoy] the dancing and the overall tone that the show conveys.”

The citizens of Egypt fawn over Joseph (Sean S)

Along with the artistic cast and crew of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, the pit orchestra, conducted by orchestra teacher Veronica Underhill, performed all the musical numbers. The pit orchestra spent months practicing with the cast and crew, balancing long rehearsals and schoolwork. Junior Aurore Baptiste, who played the French horn in the orchestra, noted, “I practiced a lot over the weekends, going over my weak spots to make sure that I was ready for the next rehearsal.” 

The cast and crew cherish the wonderful experiences of collaborating over the past few months. Baptiste added, “I [love] getting the chance to witness so many improvements from the [cast] and from the pit members as well, which tends to be an emotional moment.” This year’s performance was surely an unforgettable theatrical performance.