Musician Spotlight: Olivia Pollicino

Musician Spotlight: Olivia Pollicino
Olivia Pollicino

Olivia Pollicino, a senior, began engaging in her musical craft in the second grade, the minute that orchestra was offered as a school activity. “I was so excited to learn to play an instrument and ended up choosing the viola,” Pollicino explained. However, as she began to pursue her passion for the viola, Pollicino’s skills began to evolve beyond the elementary school walls. 

She mentioned that though finding time to practice outside of school can be difficult, she always finds a way to incorporate it into her schedule, as it truly aids her in exploring her musical ventures: “It can be hard to practice when I’m tired or busy, but keeping a practice routine definitely helps.” She makes an effort to lay out carefully manicured practice schedules to help maintain her motivation and be the best player she can be. 

Pollicino’s passion for practice has aided her in sharpening her musical technique, which began to develop as she took the viola more seriously. Playing her instrument went from a hobby in the second grade band to something Pollicino embraces as one of her main passions. Furthermore, paying attention to the skills that provide the foundation of her craft have helped Pollicino look at her instrument from a deeper perspective. “I have learned to pay more attention to my technique when playing because having a strong understanding of simpler skills is super important when playing more difficult music,” she remarked. 

She also takes a particular interest in how unique her instrument is. “The viola is the only instrument that reads the alto clef, which I always thought of as very unique,” she explained. The alto clef (‘clef’ indicating the pitch of notes written on a musical staff), is vastly unique from the two most standard clefs — treble and bass clefs — which are utilized by most modern instruments. In this way, the viola stands out as an interesting instrument with a fascinating pitch. 

Pollicino’s performance journey has greatly evolved from the original rudimentary concerts she participated in — her most memorable performance to date has been the 2023 All-County String Orchestra performance. Being surrounded by so many talented string musicians encouraged her to practice her craft with an even deeper breadth, she explained. “I met so many amazing people over the course of the few rehearsals we had, and I loved all of the music that we played.” 

In reference to her biggest supporters, Pollicino cites her parents as being the most encouraging in her musical journey: “They always support my decisions — they never force me to do anything, but always encourage me to make the best decisions for myself.” She is also particularly thankful for her teachers who have helped her improve throughout her musical career, including the musical teachers here at LHS and her private viola tour. 

With an interest in building her musical skills, came a desire to study music education and plans to pursue interests close to her orchestral talent in college. This will allow her to combine her passions for education and music, “I eventually want to be an orchestra teacher, and I hope to go to college for music education,” she described.