Price Increases at Union Cause Student Upset

Grace Clausen
LHS’s local bagel cafe’s latest price increases catch the attention of many.

Lynbrook’s Union Bagel Café, commonly referred to as Union, is one of the hottest lunch spots for students. Their bagels and varieties of sandwiches are what send students rushing there for both breakfast and lunch. However, the increase in their prices has inevitably begun to affect students. This price hike has been felt not only by the students at LHS, but by other patrons as well. 

Union is known to most as a neighborhood spot for bagels and a warm, welcoming environment. Most everyone, from LHS students to staff members, has stopped by Union at least once. Thus, the price increase has caught the attention of many. Junior Kelsey Roth said, “Although I rarely go to Union Bagel for lunch, I’ve heard a lot of opinions and thoughts on the rising prices of their bagels and sandwiches.”

Talk of inflation and rising prices is nothing new; Union, like any food establishment, has increased prices before. Previously, the cost of their sandwiches remained virtually untouched with other price increases, but the same could not be said for the price of drinks. For instance, the popular AriZona iced teas increased from 99¢ to $1.25. 

The more recent increase in sandwich prices is what has caught patrons’ attention. Sophomore Leah Casolaro discussed how she loves to get their bacon, egg, and cheese on a bagel. However, she says that Union’s prices have risen to a “crazy amount,” claiming she has spent almost ten dollars for a sandwich. Casolaro complained about how the increased price has suddenly decreased her weekly allowance. 

Other students feel the same way; senior Mikayla D’Ambrosio, a loyal customer, too opposes the price increases. Having been frequenting Union since her freshman year, it was impossible for D’Ambrosio not to notice the price difference for menu items. She expressed, “Union Bagel has been around before my high school years, and their food has always been good, but the price has been crazy lately. I like to buy chips with my bagel as well, but the price has been too overwhelming.” Many students feel burdened with the hefty price of their lunches.

The price for bagels with cream cheese has increased to about $3.95, approximately a ten-percent increase from the previous price. A small iced coffee costs about $3.12, which is about the same price of a bagel with cream cheese. The increased cost of the iced coffee is greater than that of the bagel, having increased roughly 16 percent.  

This increase in price is not isolated to Union Bagel. However, many students hope for a decrease in prices to make their lunch options more accessible and to have some money left over for a more filling lunch with a bag of chips or a drink.