The Hottest Fashion Trends to Heat Up This Winter

Baili Georgulas
Read on about the latest Winter Fashion buzz.

With the temperatures dropping and the holidays here, the season of cheer has arrived; with it, come the newest winter fashion trends. One unique trend this year is bows, which are going viral on social media, especially on TikTok. Whether they are used as a hair accessory, on sweaters, as earrings, or even tied to Ugg boots, they are an adorable touch to a winter wardrobe for the optimal “vanilla girl” aesthetic: a neutral, cozy vibe. Junior Jacqueline Thayer is a fan of this trend: “Bows are a cute addition to the usual trends of Uggs, leggings, sweater vests, and sweaters.” Regarding shoes, Uggs continue to be a staple in every wardrobe. Sophomore and fashion student Addison DiFiore mentioned that “boots are also back this year but this time with ankle socks!” 

DiFiore and other students in teacher Karen Goulet’s fashion class researched and reported on the fall trends for 2023. They created boards to display their findings with the most relevant trends including metallics, faux fur, and the “clean girl” aesthetic with white button-up shirts. These trends increased in popularity during the transition to winter. “They are especially desired in accessories. They are easy to incorporate into your everyday wardrobe when used on footwear or handbags,” Goulet noted. Goulet was recently at the DSW shoe store in Carle Place and saw many brands of junior footwear with full metallic or subtle touches of it. While at a local boutique, she saw cute handbags and totes made of faux fur. According to Goulet, “
[The bags] are available not only in natural colors but in bright and unusual colors such as blue and red.”  

Moreover, flare leggings and wide-leg pants continue to be a cold-weather staple. “Wide-leg pants are popular for business attire, but you will also notice it in junior sportswear; just look around the halls of LHS and take note of all the students wearing cargo pants,” Goulet remarked. Cargo pants, as well as parachute pants and other types of baggy pants, are also trending this winter. They range from denim to khaki material and come in a variety of colors. These pants are adored because of their ability to be simultaneously stylish and comfortable. 

Flannels are the perfect way to keep cozy and are worn by people of all ages. “I’ve seen a lot of flannels worn open with a sweatshirt or T-shirt underneath,” DiFiore noted. Bright and vibrant outerwear choices such as puffer coats and oversized jackets are also in style this winter. As posted on Glamour magazine’s website (glamour.com) on Friday, Oct. 27, writer Jake Smith reported that red in particular is making an appearance this season. Whether it is in the form of  maroon, ruby, or scarlet, red hit Fashion Week runways. Gray is also predicted to rise in popularity this season. Whether it is present in a monochromatic sweatsuit for chilling out or in a pantsuit for a professional business meeting, gray is quite versatile and can be dressed up or down.  

Winter is a season of style. The goal of these new trends is to remain both fashionable and warm during the chilly months. The boundaries of style are limitless. Be creative when expressing style this season.