“My Husband Is a Spy: Chapter III”

Maha Ajmal

“WHAT!?” I screamed.

“Quiet down,” he replied. 

“Wait a second! You are erasing my memory, and you are worrying about me being too loud?! You know, you’ve really got some nerve!” I exclaimed with contempt. On the outside, I may have acted more furiously than scared. In truth, I was shaken to my core. I just could not comprehend what was going on. So much had happened in a day. While staring at James, I started to tear up – “If you really love me, James… stop this, please.” James gave me one final glance before leaving, and in disbelief, I screamed, “STOP IT! STOP IT, JAMES. PLEASE! I BEG OF YOU!” My anger quickly turned into despair. Though I was furious at him, my love did not fade. How could I forget about him? Not only that, but what if something goes wrong making me forget everything about myself…my life.? What could I do? Well, there’s really nothing I can do, so I must accept my fate. That is, until a loud bang interrupted my constant train of thought.

James ran into the room. Urgently he said, “Look, I know things are a bit complicated right now. But I really need you to listen to me, ok? I need you to go as far as you can from here and don’t look back, got it? When you think you are far enough away from this place, call me on this walkie talkie, turn off your phone, then throw it away so they can’t track you. Since these walkies are older models, their tech can’t be tracked. Now, just run straight; the exit will be at the end of the hall. Now’s your chance!” He ran off fast; immediately alarms started to sound, and people were running from every direction. I saw the exit and ran right out of there. Running for about two hours, lungs were feeling tight, my legs wanted to stop, but I didn’t know if I was far enough. A few more minutes until I came across a cave and fell to the ground. I lay on the ground thinking about everything that happened. My emotions were out of my control. The one thing I was sure of was that I was hungry and tired.

All night I stayed in the cave, barely getting a sufficient amount of sleep, only to feel worn out by morning. I realized I forgot to tell James where I was. Shoot! He must be so worried, I thought, but before I could even get up, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I jumped and turned around. “JAMES!” I got up and hugged him. I was so happy to see him that I pushed him off for a second and looked at him and asked, “How did you find me? I forgot to tell you where I was.” 

He replied, “You also forgot to turn off your phone and shut it down completely. But don’t worry, I shut down your phone already.” I took a sigh of relief. 

We sat there in silence; every time one of us was going to say something, we stopped. And who could blame us? We just went through a rollercoaster of events, and we had barely any time for a breather. I mean, at least I found this cave and was able to think things through for a while, but James was not able to. “I am really sorry,” James said.  I looked at him and said that I also apologized; I should’ve never acted like that.

“We are a couple,” I told him as I grabbed his hands. No matter how weird our lives may be, James grabbed me and hugged me tight. “Alright, we have to get moving. You have to be starving, and since your phone was on, they could have our location. There is a town a few minutes away,” he said.

As we walked away from the cave and towards the town, I just couldn’t help but feel that they were on to us and not as far as James might have thought they were.