LVV Hosts Annual “Dig Pink” Clinic

Sean Strohofer

Lynbrook girls’ varsity and junior varsity (JV) volleyball collaborated to host a volleyball clinic in honor of the Dig Pink Foundation. The Dig Pink Foundation is a non-profit organization with the goal of making an impact on the lives of those suffering from metastatic breast cancer and their families. Fifth and sixth graders attended the first session, and seventh and eighth graders attended the second session. The clinic is an annual tradition, and is described to have been “a success from the beginning.” Junior varsity volleyball coach Caroline Fisher said, “The teams did a good job organizing the stations. We did 1-2 less than last year, which really allowed the girls to zone in on coaching the most fundamental skills for volleyball.” 

Varsity captains, seniors Mackenzie Casey and Katherine Ferng, said that they both love the clinic and have the best time doing it. “I love being able to show younger kids how fun volleyball is and hopefully inspire them to play in middle school and high school,” Ferng described. Casey agreed: “This year was my fourth year doing the Dig Pink clinic, and I absolutely love it.” 

This clinic is a favorite amongst players and coaches. “It is always so special to see my students come in and enjoy one of the sports that I coach. Seeing students’ day to day is completely different than having them spend their own time to participate in something we both enjoy. Not only that, but seeing my players step up to the plate and become coaches for the day is a very gratifying feeling,” Fisher expressed.  

At the clinic, the JV and varsity girls were separated into different stations to teach the participants various skills. The stations consisted of setting, hitting, blocking, serving, and passing– each station was dedicated to one skill. The clinic attendees were able to ask questions and run drills at each station with the older girls. There were also group games with all participants at the beginning and end and raffles, where Dig Pink shirts and nail polish sets were given away. 

Patience is imperative in order to have success when teaching children, and the volleyball players must act as role models for the younger participants. “One piece of advice I would give to the younger kids is to not be afraid to ask questions and make mistakes because that’s how you get better,” Casey advised. Ferng agreed: “The most important advice I can give the younger kids attending the clinic is to work hard and never give up. Volleyball is not something you can get better at overnight, but with great work ethic and perseverance, you can achieve your goals.”

The clinic created an enjoyable environment for participants. Attendees were able to learn and adapt new skills in volleyball, while the players working at the clinic were able to share what they have learned and help others work hard and achieve what they have in their volleyball career.