Homecoming 2023: Spirit Week and Pep Rally Fill LHS with Pride

The+2023+Homecoming+Court.+Back%3A+Hendrickson%2C+DeJoesph%2C+ODoherty%2C+Grillo%2C+and+Buxton.+Front%3A+Raynor%2C+Benvenuto%2C+Keller%2C+Bodian%2C+and+Abate.+%0APhoto+Courtesy+of+%40dreambiglhs+instagram+
The 2023 Homecoming Court. Back: Hendrickson, DeJoesph, O’Doherty, Grillo, and Buxton. Front: Raynor, Benvenuto, Keller, Bodian, and Abate. Photo Courtesy of @dreambiglhs instagram

With the commencement of the 2023-2024 school year, students and staff eagerly prepared to ring in the new year with as much spirit as possible through the annual Spirit Week and Homecoming festivities. 

Prior to Spirit Week, the LHS teachers were given the opportunity to nominate seniors who were deserving of being honored on the Homecoming Court. To be nominated, all students must have displayed leadership qualities throughout their years at LHS and act as role models for the rest of the student body. The 2023 Homecoming Court was announced with Patrick O’Doherty, Marino Grillo, Michael DeJoseph, Michael Hendrickson, and Zachary Buxton representing the boys, and Logan Benvenuto, Jesse Bodion, Addison Abate, Peyton Keller, and Alexis Raynor representing the girls. Voting took place on Thursday in preparation for the big announcement at the Pep Rally on Friday, Oct. 20.

Students involved with the Student Government Association (SGA) were the curators of the festivities. They took charge and began with the compilation of the designated dress-up days and urged the student body to dress accordingly with each theme. The week began with ‘Merica Monday, to show USA pride; PJ and Prom Tuesday, where students could choose to dress for a black-tie event or for a slumber party; Wacky Orange Wednesday, allowing students to embrace their wacky side and to simultaneously celebrate Unity Day; Throwback Thursday, to pay homage to the past; and ending with Green and Gold Friday, to embrace Lynbrook colors at Pep Rally.  

When asked what her favorite day of Spirit Week was, senior Grace Loiselle shared, “By far, my favorite day was Throwback Thursday because it was so much fun seeing all the creative and unique costumes,” she expressed. “From seeing the teachers dressed in the clothes they wore in high school, to seeing dinosaurs roam the halls, it is so much fun seeing how all out people get with their costumes,” Loiselle added. 

Spinella, Rabinowitz, Dennis, and Donaldson after being pied in the face!
Photo Courtesy of @dreambiglhs Instagram

In addition to designating the themes for each day, SGA members were responsible for making sure the cafeteria décor was on theme with each day. Each grade was assigned one day to decorate, which furthered their involvement and boosted collaboration among students. As students and staff entered the building each day, they were greeted with decorations varying from a red carpet, a balloon arch, and even streamers. 

First-time SGA Advisor and LHS alumni Nicole DiBenedetto shared her thoughts surrounding her experience with managing her first Spirit Week: “I remember organizing [Spirit Week] as a student, and it’s been a lot of fun to be on the other side of things,” she said. “I feel like all of the events of Spirit Week and Homecoming have been a great opportunity for me to get to know the members of SGA more, and I’ve enjoyed it a lot,” DiBenedetto.

On Friday, for the last day of Spirit Week, students decked out in their green and gold attire made their way down to the gym for the annual Pep Rally. The dynamic duo of health teacher Jennifer Kramer and social studies teacher John Cornicello are Pep Rally hosts and organize the games and competitions for the students. The points earned by these games are the first round of Class Night points that students can win for their grade. Students cheered on their fellow classmates as seniors from fall sports teams were called down to report their accomplishments and rankings for their season. Students continued to cheer as the varsity cheer and kickline teams gave their electric performances. Senior and varsity kickline dancer Mae Dooling recalled the event: “My favorite part about the Pep Rally is seeing how spirited and energetic everyone gets when we do our dance. It’s just such a fun experience to be a part of.” Former SGA advisor and English teacher Mary Kirby added, “I love to stare at the entire gym and soak it all in. It truly embodies what the spirit of Lynbrook has always been!” 

This year’s Pep Rally finale, however, featured a new spectacle. As a fundraiser for the START Club at LHS, students and staff were given the opportunity to pay $1 and nominate their favorite teacher to be pied in the face. All the funds raised would be donated towards breast cancer research. After a day of voting, and over $300 raised for the cause, the winners of the piet in the face contest were English teacher Michael Spinella, social studies teacher David Rabinowitz, chemistry teacher Peter Dennis, and physical education teacher and SGA advisor Brian Donaldson.

After all the festivities came to a close, Cornicello and Kramer crowned this year’s Homecoming King and Queen. The students cast their votes, and Patrick O’Doherty and Peyton Keller were crowned royalty. 

Homecoming Court members, Buxton and Raynor, riding in the parade.

The following day, on the rainy morning of the Homecoming game, each grade lined up on Union Avenue outside LHS to hold their class banner. Creating the best banner design is another round of Classnight points a grade can win, and each banner is voted on after the parade. Members of the Homecoming Court traveled in convertible cars, leading the parade, and were followed by the marching band, accompanied by the kickline team, Lynbrook residents, and LHS alumni. Despite the weather, it seemed as if the entire town was present on the streets, showing support for the parade as it led the way to the game at Marion Street Elementary School.

Once the parade made a lap around the Marion track, the preparation was over. After all the anticipation, it was time for the big game. The Owls had the support of their town with them as they prepared to take the field and represent Lynbrook.