The New Library Is “Literary” Perfect

Olivia Lanteri

There were many new additions added to LHS over the summer, but one of the most notable and unique changes made was to the library. Going from a small, dark room to a lively, multi-roomed, innovative center was a big change. On the first day of school, the library was filled with students coming to see the new features and study in style. 

As students walk in, they see a bright, open space, adorned with bright green chairs, many tables for students to work at, and, of course, books. Looking to the left, there is an open but separate space, holding multiple computers and printers. To the right, are the reception and circulation desks where Senior Library Clerk Jane Paladino and Library Media Specialist Maureen Bertolini work. In the front of the library, there is an extra room for quiet study. There are two long tables, and two circular tables, and it is a smaller room compared to the main one. Students who work here intend to study quietly, and it is seen by many as a great way to get work done and focus.

“I think the new library is a great addition to LHS. All of the facilities are top-notch, and I’m especially a fan of the quiet room. Juggling college applications and homework, it provides a great space for those who need it,” explained senior Alexis Raynor. Specifically for seniors dealing with college applications and essays, the library provides a calmer space to work on assignments and apply with a clear mind. 

The new library, although it occupies the same physical space as the old library, feels bigger than before. Senior Nawar Aboud said, “I really like it. I like the color scheme and the new design inside. It feels bigger now.” 

In the main library room, with new fully working televisions, relaxing jazz music can be heard. Everything is bright and new, and students are finding it a fantastic place to study.

“I really like the new changes to the library. The space feels more open and makes for a more accessible and modern workspace,” said sophomore Sophia Schoen. As compared to the previous space, this area appears to be more conducive to student productivity.

When asked how her role has changed with the new space, Bertolini explained, “The beautiful atmosphere has contributed to my overall happiness. It is just a pleasure to be here. I really enjoy the kids making use of the space in an academic way. It is an extension of [students’] classrooms.” Additionally, she explained she loves seeing students utilizing the space in more ways than ever before.