Athlete Spotlight: Keziah Job and Andrew Director

Photo courtesy of Keziah Job

Keziah Job

After sustaining an ankle injury earlier this season, senior Keziah Job has bounced back and helped her team win many games. Job started playing basketball in third grade, and throughout her high school career, she has played for both the Owls’ varsity team and on an Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) team. After her injury, Job bounced back, providing the team with leadership and effort both on and off the court. 

“As a captain, Keziah brings us positive energy every day, making her both a wonderful teammate and captain,” said head coach Stephen LoCicero. “Keziah cares about every single one of her teammates, as she enjoys everyone’s success once they hit their stride.” 

Keziah’s teammates view her as both a great teammate and role model throughout the season. “Keziah is one of the most positive people I know, as there is never a time when you are talking to her that she does not make you smile and laugh,” said freshman Brooke Mazzei. “She is always there to lift you up when you need encouragement. Being a freshman and being new to the team and not knowing a lot of girls, Keziah made it super easy for me to interact with the team,” Mazzei added.

Keziah has always been a player who lifts her teammates’ spirits and makes any environment cheerful. “Keziah manages to have a smile on her face every day,” said senior Kyla Nemnach. “She creates a fun and entertaining atmosphere during practice and games. She will cheer you on and encourage you, along with never giving up during a play on the court and trying her hardest during every game,” Nembach added.

Andrew Director

Senior Andrew Director is a committed and skilled captain of the varsity wrestling team. Director first entered the sport in first grade through the Lynbrook Titans’ program, which he remained in until sixth grade. He started wrestling with the middle school team in seventh and eighth grade.

In high school, Director has been on the varsity team for all four years, earning the title of captain in his senior year. Off the mat, he added wrestling to his year-round lifestyle, picking up running and lifting weights to help him with the sport, along with joining the cross-country team, for which he is also a captain. Through wrestling and training, Director says he has found a major part of who he is as a person.

“This year has been rough for the varsity wrestling team,” Director said. “With a small senior turnout and a shutdown for a week because of COVID-19, the focus of the team right now is helping our younger wrestlers improve for next year and preparing our top few guys for county qualifiers and championships.”

Director’s teammates shared that he is a great teammate who has helped them achieve their goals. “As a captain, Andrew Director leads the stretches and drills, helps the less experienced wrestlers, and is a great leader,” said senior Tyler Ippolito. “Before everyone’s match, as a team, we clap and cheer on the individual wrestler as they run out onto the mat to hype them up.Ippolito added that Director has bumped up his weight class to help the team in several matches. 

Junior Shawn Healy said that Director is one of the most hardworking wrestlers on the team. “Andrew has been a key part of our lineup in the dual meets and tournaments and an irreplaceable part of the lineup,” Healy said. “As a captain, he has been a great leader and pushes his partners in practice.”