Staff Spotlight: Schaefer Steals the Show!

Schaefer with her husband and children

Schaefer with her husband and children

Adrianna Schaefer, Lynbrook’s new Fine and Performing Arts Director

This past fall, Adrianna Schaefer joined Lynbrook as the Director of the LHS Fine and Performing Arts Department. She resides in North Merrick with her husband, Alec, who is an elementary school band teacher, and her five-year-old twin sons, Lincoln and Joseph. 

Originally from Buffalo, New York, Schaefer knew from the age of 11 that she wanted to be a music teacher. She attended college at the Eastman School of Music in Rochester, where her days “consisted of playing [instruments]” and attending “primarily music-focused” classes including ear training and music theory. 

After completing her undergraduate degree, Schaefer moved to New York City to earn her master’s degree at Lehman College. She later earned her administration degree at Hunter College. From there, Schaefer, whose primary instrument is the bass, began her teaching career as an orchestra teacher. She taught for two years in Westchester County but spent the majority of her teaching career in the East Meadow School District. 

During her 16 years at East Meadow, Shaefer taught both middle and high school students. “I taught orchestra for 12 years at the high school, and during the last four years, I moved to the middle school to become a chairperson, which qualifies as an administrative position,” Schaefer explained.

While East Meadow still holds a special place in her heart, Schaefer has grown to love the little community of Lynbrook. “I love this district because it is such a small, intimate, tight-knit community,” Schaefer said.“It sort of mirrors the high school experience I had growing up, in that Lynbrook has a very similar population, and love for community.”

Schaefer’s position comes with the responsibility of managing the music department as well as coordinating the many concerts and music-related events that take place throughout the school year. Her main concern at the moment is “getting us out of COVID and being able to return to what we once knew as a performing aspect of the program.” 

Schaefer said she feels fortunate that, after the last two years of quarantining and remote learning, students are finally able to perform again. She hopes that one day, students “can get to a place where it is safe to remove the masks, safe to be a little closer together, and safe to be able to work together in that capacity.”

Schaefer also hopes to introduce programs that get elementary school students involved in music. “It always starts with the little ones, and they are the base of it, so that is sort of what I am looking toward in the future right now,” she explained.

Schaefer recently faced one of her first major tasks as director: organizing the Winter Gala and conducting the famed “Hallelujah” chorus.  She believes that “the concert itself went as well as it possibly could have,” given the strict guidelines students and staff were placed under that “are not conducive to a successful experience.” 

Schaefer explained that she misses performing and conducting as an orchestra teacher, so conducting the “Hallelujah” chorus was a “wonderful and gratifying” experience. “I did not realize how much I missed being in front of that group and the power a performing ensemble can bestow upon you as conductor, but also as an audience member,” she said.

Though her job and children take up most of her time, Schaefer still tries to do things she enjoys when she can. When she is not working, Schaefer can be found at home with her family, or in their cabin in the Catskills where they go snowboarding and hiking.

Students and staff of the LHS music department have become acquainted with Schaefer over the past few months, and many have found it a privilege to get to work with her. Chorus teacher Barry Wyner has “greatly enjoyed getting to know Mrs. Schaefer” and thinks she is “off to a terrific start.” He especially enjoys her collaborative approach and appreciates the fact that she supports the goals music teachers set for their programs and students. 

“People don’t realize all the responsibilities of the director of fine and performing arts…it’s a lot!” Wyner said. “The future is bright for the Lynbrook Music Department under Mrs. Schaefer’s leadership.”

Orchestra teacher Alyssa White said, “In the short time that we’ve known each other so far, Mrs. Schaefer, together with our high school music staff, has created successful events and experiences for our music students. I look forward to working with her as we continue to bring more and more exciting educational opportunities to the Lynbrook music program.” 

Senior Jessica Healey agreed: “I think Mrs. Schaefer is doing a great job. She is super involved, and I am sad I won’t be able to spend more time under her direction!”