KC Stays Safe This Halloween Thanks to Key Club

Key Club volunteers smiling with the Kindergarteners in their costumes

Following its annual tradition, the LHS Key Club taught kindergarten students about Halloween safety. Alongside Key Club advisor Benedict Tieniber and Key Club Presidents Emma and Sophie Ward, twenty high school students visited the Lynbrook Kindergarten Center and spoke on the hazards of Halloween, including “stranger danger.”

Key Club volunteers smiling with the Kindergarteners in their costumes (Photo courtesy of Alexis Raynor)

Though the holiday is adored by many, Halloween traditions like trick-or-treating raise many risks to young children. “We taught the kindergarteners what to do and what not to do when trick-or-treating,” said Emma. “We explained that it was important to go with a group of people and a trusted adult, to look both ways before crossing the street, to not to wander off from your group, and to get your candy checked,” she added.

Last year’s Halloween safety event was conducted virtually via WebEx. This year, participating high school students were allowed to conduct the event in-person due to new school Covid-19 protocols. The message was still relayed last year, but members of the Key Club said they were excited to return to an in-person format.

“This event is so important because it reiterates to the students the importance of stranger safety,” said Tieniber. “We were so happy to conduct the event in-person for this wonderful event rather than virtual.” 

Though the event was designed for kindergarteners to learn, LHS students took away important lessons, as well. “I learned that kids are eager to learn more,” Emma said. “They were so engaging and made the experience so much fun.” 

“I loved seeing all of the little kids in their costumes,” senior and Key Club Vice President Chloe Moskowitz said. “It was so cute seeing them ready for Halloween.” 

“I loved when the kids were super focused when listening to us,” said junior Jessica Fowler. “It made teaching them so easy and made the event more fun.” 

Thanks to the LHS Key Club, Kindergarten Center students were able to have fun this Halloween while also staying out of harm’s way.