Women’s History Month: LHS Student Perspectives

Photo by RODNAE Productions from Pexels

Women’s History Month was celebrated this March. How did LHS reflect on and raise awareness about women’s history this month?

Women’s History Month is the month of March, as annually declared by US Congress since 1987. The month is dedicated to honoring the contributions of women to history, culture, and society. The main purpose of Women’s History Month is for people to be aware of and reflect on often overlooked accomplishments by women, some recent, and some from the time of the country’s founding. 

Members of the community shared their thoughts on the topic of Women’s History Month, and how Lynbrook, as a school and as a community, should learn about the importance of women’s history and present-day gender inequality. 

Junior Abby Almonte, one of the officers of the Girl Up club, commented, “Women’s History Month is a time where people can reflect on all the brave women in the past and present who break barriers and fight for what they believe in despite society’s discouraging views of this topic.” Almonte feels that March should be treated as a time to educate and learn from past mistakes. “Whether it’s your old-school grandpa, or a ten-year-old girl, everyone should learn about social injustices and how to conquer them,” she commented. “The opportunity to educate young men and women about the dangers of sexism and gender inequality is one that should be seized by educators everywhere,” added Almonte.

Almonte continued to explain that educators have a “unique and powerful role in the way Women’s History Month is celebrated.” She cited the examples of incredible women such as Amelia Earhart, Ruby Bridges, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, and many more whose stories were introduced to students because teachers took the time to teach about them. Furthermore, Almonte brought up how women were granted the right to vote on Aug. 26, 1920, but not all women were given this right. For example, women of color were not granted the right to vote at this time. She made a notable point of how it is difficult to believe that the right to vote in America was not granted to so many women; however, Almonte said, “By educating young men and women on this critical part of history, we make things better for us all.”

Two female role models whom Almonte looks up to are Princess Diana and Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg. Almonte believes these women exemplified grace, strength, and intelligence, along with willingness to be selfless, which had a positive impact on all. Both of these women were champions of civil rights and feminists who advocated to end discrimination in hopes of seeing change. They “really walked the walk,” Almonte said. She hopes “that we will someday not have to remember so many of the hardships that still plague women today. Sexism, ageism, inadequate healthcare, unequal pay, sexual violence and harassment must be eradicated.”

Djellza Pulatani, a LHS graduate (Class of 2020), women’s advocate, and former president of the Girl Up club shared that, to her, Women’s History Month is a time when women should be celebrated. She explained that it is a time when “our differences should be embraced.” She feels this month is tremendously important because it “highlights the sacrifices and hardships women have made for many centuries. In March, all women of the world can rejoice in a sense of sisterhood!” Pulatani’s greatest female role model is the late Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg: “She stood for such amazing causes and truly enacted real change for American people.” She commented that Women’s History Month should be taught about in schools more, as she feels so many women in history “shaped the way we live,” but, unfortunately, many students do not learn about all of these women. She emphasized, “It is a necessity to further Women’s History Month education!”

Logan Roberts, another officer of the Girl Up club, commented that Women’s History Month holds great meaning to her, as it is a month when “women are appreciated for their achievements, and more people become aware of the issues women have faced and continue to face.” She expressed her excitement for the month, and said she was especially looking forward to discussing Women’s History Month at the Girl Up meetings. Roberts said, “It’s super important for all ages to learn about the importance of this month. I think it’s especially important to teach younger grades and younger girls.” One female she looks up to is Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (AOC). Roberts added, “[AOC] is a strong woman who constantly stands up for what she believes in.”

Taking a deeper look into how Women’s History Month was celebrated at LHS, student Reese Shapiro shared her experience regarding what one of teachers did to make her feel a part of Women’s History Month. Shapiro commented, “My physical education teacher, Mrs. Combs, gave us an assignment about inspirational women in the sports fields. We learned about the changes and important contributions they added to society.”