What’s All This Ruckus About? – Building Construction Update and Looking Ahead

On March 26th, 2020, LHS administrators and Board of Education members broke ground on an exciting building renovation that will enhance the lives of Lynbrook students for generations to come. Since that day, incredible progress has been made, but there is still a long way to go. Principal Joseph Rainis says that construction is projected to be completed at the end of summer 2021, and things slightly ahead of schedule. Rainis said the absence of students and staff on school ground from April to August allowed workers “to get things done without worrying about interrupting the school.”

As for in-school interruptions, they have been minimal so far. Aside from not being able to use the front doors and hearing the occasional clamor of construction, students and staff are not currently expecting many disruptions. Students can expect the auditorium doors to be operational by winter and the construction to wrap around to the side of the building as the year goes on. Students also may have noticed the empty space on the second floor — what was formerly room 201 will become a hallway into the new wing.

So, what is the goal of the renovation? An entirely new wing will be added to the building, which will include spaces for the band, chorus, and orchestra to rehearse; three art rooms; two classrooms for consumer family sciences; an innovation lab; and more. Rooms that are now used for the arts will be converted into science classrooms, too. 

When asked what he was most excited about, Rainis responded, “Everything. I’m thrilled that our music programs will have the rehearsal space that they need, and I’m thrilled that the art and family and consumer sciences programs will have the facilities that they need, too. I’m equally thrilled that the science program will have more space because they’ve needed that for many years now. I love that the building will be grounded by both the arts and the sciences. That’s been the vision for a very long time.”

Currently, both the orchestra and chorus rehearse in the auditorium. According to Sophomore Violinist Kate Chiulli, “The one downfall of using the auditorium is that the chorus uses it before the orchestra, so the chairs and stands must be rearranged in between classes. This is a bit of a hassle for students and teachers, and it would be more convenient if each music class had its own room”.

Thankfully, this issue will be resolved, and Chiulli is looking forward to the brand-new rehearsal space. “All of the supplies needed for the orchestra like stands, chairs, and folders could stay where they were without needing to be moved,” she said. “A new rehearsal space might also mean better acoustics; the auditorium is large, which is good for fitting many instruments in it, but this also affects the sound quality of the orchestra.”

Emilia Berkowitz, a sophomore involved in the Science Research Program, said, “Research is by far the class that benefits me most, and I think the idea of new space for the sciences is excellent. The science portion of LHS one hundred percent deserves to be expanded, and I believe that it would make just another one of the many reasons to participate in the sciences.”

This new wing represents a new future for the school, with opportunities for all students to grow in the various fields that interest them. LHS has always been an amazing place to learn and grow, and it just keeps getting better with time.